Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Gimbly's bumblefoot history

Have you read the GL links on pododermatitis that I posted above. There are some gnarly cases on there that have cleared up very well.

I have but I'm rather reserved when it comes to home treatments. The doctor says Orbax should have helped, but after reviewing everything I don't think it did a thing for him. They decided to do a culture to see what bacteria is there and what meds will be effective, and due to the swelling suggestion xrays to see if it's affecting the bone. His foot is still rather swollen. We got a refill of metacam and are waiting for the culture. If he needs the xray, I'll do that the next time when/if we go in.

It doesn't seem to bother him at all - no limping, decreased activity, etc.

I did ask the doctor how she felt about soaks, but it seems like the response was, well you can do it and it won't hurt. But we didn't discuss wrapping, which I should have been more clear on.

I have seen plenty of videos on people wrapping/soaking feet, but I feel like I need someone here w/ me to guide me on it before I try.

Soaking is easy. An upside down bottle cap makes a great foot bath as long as you entertain the pig with some treats while the foot is in it. Just make sure to rinse the foot well afterward. And don't let the pig drink the solution.

The instructions on GL are easy to follow and have been used by many, many people. Pinta's remedies are spot on, and she has a ton of GP experience. I'm not sure at all that you need to wrap the foot, but soaking it would definitely help with the swelling.

And, it doesn't seem to me like your vet's recommendations are working too well anyway.

The culture came back...with 3 types of antibiotic resistant bacteria. 2 I think the vet said were Strep. and I don't recall the last. Vet wants to do doxy and critical care just in case he reacts poorly to doxy. Gimbly's weight is borderline low.

Vet is concerned about the bacteria mixture as usually, one would use penicillin based drugs but obviously we can't do that for a gpig. She mentioned a transdermal pencillin med but if Gimbly ingests on accident he will become sick. That would be an absolute last resort.

I'm so glad that Gimbly has you for a mom. His little life is such a challenge but he has you to look after him and I know you'll do whatever it takes.

Gimbly is such a lucky boy to have you!

Does he still have that open spot on his foot? If so I would really be swayed to suggest trying packing the wound with manuka honey and wrapping it in conjunction with the oral antibiotics.

I've seen mankua honey used on human leg ulcers with multiple antibiotic resistant bacteria with success. You need to get mankua honey with UMF 10+ or higher, that is the minimum strength believed to be therapeutic.

Does he still have that open spot on his foot? If so I would really be swayed to suggest trying packing the wound with manuka honey and wrapping it in conjunction with the oral antibiotics.

I've seen mankua honey used on human leg ulcers with multiple antibiotic resistant bacteria with success. You need to get mankua honey with UMF 10+ or higher, that is the minimum strength believed to be therapeutic.

It's actually never been open. It's always been a big "scab", and the side of his foot where the scab is, is very swollen (before taking metacam). I've never seen it ooze or anything. That's another reason I'm not sure if I want to soak/wrap - I'm afraid that is the scab comes off, it's going to cause more trouble. I'm guessing the scab is similar to what's on this chicken page - https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment-html/

The rescue did tell me when I adopted him, that if bumblefoot came back I could talk w/ them on how they treated him w/ wraps/soaks. I don't know how bad his foot was back then, but it was bad enough to deform his foot. They're only open on Saturdays, so if things don't go well, I can go talk w/ them.

If an open wound does happen, I absolutely will wrap it.

Yesterday I did pick up the doxycycline and critical care. I'll email the vet and see if they could remind me exactly what was on that culture.

Will doxy cause mushy poops? Gimbly gets soft poop easily if he eats too many veggies, and I can't tell if it may be from the spring mix or doxy.

I believe any oral antibiotics can upset a pigs GI tract, and therefore cause mushy poops. A probiotic after the antibiotic is the only real help you can give him for it, or perhaps some unflavored Pedialyte.

The scab seems to be getting smaller. It is definitely not getting worse at all. Still no oozing or anything. Gimbly refuses the doxy but he will happily take the metacam. Hopefully the doxycycline is slowly working.

If the doxy is hard to administer, the vet might be able to add flavoring. I had Albon flavored with butterscotch for Lacey and she loved it.

If the doxy is hard to administer, the vet might be able to add flavoring. I had Albon flavored with butterscotch for Lacey and she loved it.

It smells like banana right now. He is probably just being picky.

The scab seems to be getting smaller. It is definitely not getting worse at all. Still no oozing or anything. Gimbly refuses the doxy but he will happily take the metacam. Hopefully the doxycycline is slowly working.

I got a good look at the scab yesterday and it is definitely getting smaller. I'm hoping the doctor will let us do a telehealth visit instead of going in. I really like our vet but I'm so tired of visiting them.

Last night I realized I've been dosing the doxy wrong. Supposed to do it twice a day. I've been doing once.

I think Gimbly is barbering or being barbered...however I never catch him doing it and when I am home I am always right next to their cage. He is a sheltie mix, so he has long hair on his back. It looks like someone took scissors to him and chopped his fur up. It's still thick and no bald spots, but it matches images I've looked up of barbering. His fur also was dirty or crusty, but from what I can feel and see there's nothing like an abscess or leaking wound, so maybe its from whoever is snacking on his fur.

I have no idea of Maple Leaf is snacking on him...Maple Leaf still has days of crazy puberty energy and pesters Gimbly, so maybe that has to do with it. Aside from that, his foot continues to look better.

So glad to hear Gimbly is improving. I wonder if, when he's feeling better, if he might not give MF a run for his money?

If you want to know what is happening when you aren't around, get one of these:

(broken link removed)

I got one a few years ago for Christmas. It alleviated a LOT of my stress about some things when I couldn't be around.

So glad to hear Gimbly is improving. I wonder if, when he's feeling better, if he might not give MF a run for his money?

If you want to know what is happening when you aren't around, get one of these:

(broken link removed)

I got one a few years ago for Christmas. It alleviated a LOT of my stress about some things when I couldn't be around.

I do have a camera but they want me to pay for storage, so I haven't used it.

Gimbly's foot continues to look better!

I think he is the one chewing his hair. It has a 'v' pattern which I've read indicates self-barbering. It's not causing any problems right now so I'm not going to mess with it.

I believe the V pattern is indicative of mites, but I may be mistaken.

I believe the V pattern is indicative of mites, but I may be mistaken.

I'm trying to find where I read it but I can't (thought it was on the UK pig forum). What I mean is, if he is self-barbering, he can only reach his sides. That leaves the hair on his back/rear long, giving a V shape.

I'm also seeing some very light colored poop (vs normal dark poop). It is normal shape and size, but it is almost yellowish. Aside from Gimbly's new hair cut, I can't find anything else wrong with either of the pigs. I can't recall any meds causing this sort of poop change, so idk if it is the doxy. I did start giving it to him 2x a day like I was supposed to have been doing this whole time.

Gimbly's bumblefoot history

I don't know who is actually having the lighter poop so I just assume Gimbly for now

V pattern is definitely mites. Poop color depends on what he's been eating.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.