Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Bumblefoot help!

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Hello, my guinea pig has a mild case of Bumblefoot on her back feet. She is housed on fleece bedding which I keep as dry and clean as possible. What can I use on her feet that is safe if accidentally ingested?? Vet said I could use Silvadene but only if I wrap her feet because it’s not safe if ingested. She most likely will not tolerate her feet being wrapped. Any other suggestions on how I can treat her feet safely and effectively???

I’ve read the guinealynx page. I was hoping to get some advice from you guys. I have been applying cold pressed coconut oil for a few days now. The redness is getting a little better but her one rear foot looks a bit swollen. Will Epsom salt soak help this? There are no open wounds just red and swollen. Also is F&M ointment safe and/or effective?

Can you post a picture? Is she limping?

Can you post a picture? Is she limping?
She is not limping. I will try to get a pic in a little while. Vet has her on some baytril and Metacam now. I’m doing Epsom salt soaks and applying some cold pressed coconut oil afterwards.

She is not limping. I will try to get a pic in a little while. Vet has her on some baytril and Metacam now. I’m doing Epsom salt soaks and applying some cold pressed coconut oil afterwards.
The picture would help. I have a pig who is prone to twisting/spraining/breaking her ankle. So I would make sure it’s not actually that. Pododermatitis just means inflammation of the paw tissue, it’s doesnt necessarily mean it’s infected. If there was a scab, open sore, wound, etc, then I’d be more focused on antibiotics. But because they’re just red and inflamed, I doubt they’re infected. It’s probably just how she walks on them. They are both like that or just one? When one of mine had bumblefoot, we put her on a low dose of bactrim for 10 days, and then discontinued it because my vet doubted any infection. Thereafter I did epsom salt baths twice a day for 10 minutes. My vet had me saturate the epsom salt in water, which means you add it until it stops dissolving in the water. Just be careful not to let it get into her eyes and to rinse her feet after. It took a couple months to fully go back to normal.
Here’s what Jenis bumblefoot looked like.

Attachments

830B6159-DEAB-4932-AB64-00026A1762EE.jpg
The picture would help. I have a pig who is prone to twisting/spraining/breaking her ankle. So I would make sure it’s not actually that. Pododermatitis just means inflammation of the paw tissue, it’s doesnt necessarily mean it’s infected. If there was a scab, open sore, wound, etc, then I’d be more focused on antibiotics. But because they’re just red and inflamed, I doubt they’re infected. It’s probably just how she walks on them. They are both like that or just one? When one of mine had bumblefoot, we put her on a low dose of bactrim for 10 days, and then discontinued it because my vet doubted any infection. Thereafter I did epsom salt baths twice a day for 10 minutes. My vet had me saturate the epsom salt in water, which means you add it until it stops dissolving in the water. Just be careful not to let it get into her eyes and to rinse her feet after. It took a couple months to fully go back to normal.
Here’s what Jenis bumblefoot looked like.

They now have small sores on both rear feet. One foot is a bit swollen. I have her on baytril and Metacam. I’ve been doing Epsom salt soaks and applying cold pressed coconut oil afterwards. I found some Chlorhexidine but it’s 4% Chlorhexidine. Can I still use this if I dilute it a lot? Also, what did you use when you treated the Bumblefoot??

You could use either the chlorhexidine or the Epsom salts, but I wouldn't use both. And yes, do dilute the chlorhexidine. And rinse either one very well after the soak.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.