Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Genitic Conditions in Pigs

Piggynewbe

Cavy Slave
My Pig "crackers" has a skin condition, which according to the breeder is genetic, I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether this is true or not?

His skin has Polyp like projections that are filled with a thick toothpaste like substance.... I have tried treating with antibacterial sav and have had no luck.. we have no cavy savy vets in the eastern part of MT and I am very worried about my wonderful little pet... The breeder has one of the grandfathers of this guinea pig and it has the same condition.. The pet store where I rescued him from had his brother in with other pigs and none of the others came down with the problem. I did not realize that he had this till a month after I got him... I hope someone has seen this before and knows about this as I am a first time pig owner, and would like my pig to be happy and healthy..

Hope someone knows what is going on!

heres a pic of the polyps

Here's a picture of my poor crackers that is very very loved.....

Piggynewbe

Piggynewbe

Cavy Slave
Someone please help !!! If I don't get answers today my parents are going to have him put to sleep:(

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Have you posted about this on www.guinealynx.info? They have a lot of very medically savvy people over there.

Do you have any vets that are willing to see him? They could always contact a cavy savvy vet by phone for consult.

The images are pretty small and I can't really get a good look at his condition to give you more help.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Are the skin lesions bothering him? Are they getting larger over time? How many does he have?

They may be skin cysts or follicle tumors. Either way, the best way to cure them is to have the vet surgically take them off. If they are cysts and there aren't too many of them the vet may be able to clean them out, but they might recur. My pig Jackie has a cyst in his skin that is full of toothpaste-like gunk.

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
It looks similar to a "boo boo" my Harold had...it was a bite from his cage mate that turned into an icky abcess. Does the stuff inside the "polyp" smell?
Either way...if I were you I would take him to a vet ASAP. Even a vet that doesn't have a lot of piggy experience is better than no vet at all. And like Ly said...they could always consult with a cavysavvy vet on the phone.
Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.