Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Gaining too fast? And genital question

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I have been weighing them pretty regularly the past week, since I had started treatment for mites and Henry was being treated for a URI. On July 8th, Niko was 413 grams, today he was 490. He is about 3 1/2 months old. Henry was 524 on July 8th and 626 tonight. He is about 4 1/2 months old. Does this sound pretty normal to gain that much weight in 8 days? They were both REALLY small when I got them. Niko was half the size he is now, I got him when he was about 1 1/2 to 3 months old. Henry has also about doubled his size in a month and a half. I also cleaned up Henry's anal sac some, he seems to get a bit gunky. I noticed that he has no hair around his genital area. Is this normal? The skin looks perfectly pink and healthy.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I would say it's probably normal weight gain if they were thin, ill and young! They are probably trying to get healthy and grow up big and strong :] (Not 100% sure to be honest though, I have adult pigs)

My Goliath also has no hair around his genitals, just fleshy pink skin. So I'd say you're fine here too!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
OK! Niko has hair. Henry did too, before he hit puberty. Then the skin seemed to kind of stretch if that makes any sense lol

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
OK! Niko has hair. Henry did too, before he hit puberty. Then the skin seemed to kind of stretch if that makes any sense lol

Yes, that sounds normal, sometime the bigger pigs tend to be more bald down there. I've had perfectly healthy pigs either way. And guinea pigs do lose and gain weight extremely quickly, the scale can help you to notice small changes but the big thing is just when your holding them, do they feel a nice normal, healthy weight? If they were sick or young, it's probably why they were gaining quickly. :)

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Well not to be lewd, but my boys have BIGGGGGG balls. Your little ones are probably growing into theirs haha

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.