Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

For Rabbits...Don't want to give friend wrong advice...

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
My friend recently bought a bunny from another friend who is sadly a breeder. (I told him not to, but he did it anyways:mad:)
But he was asking me about pellets the other day, and I didn't give him an answer about the bad ingredients in Bunny 16 Blue Seal food. I am sure that Blue Seal is bad, as it is for guinea pigs.
He is working on an ingredients list for me, and trying to find them. I am also scowering the internet to try and find it, so I will post it as soon as I can.
But, can someone tell me how much food to feed a 9 month old bunny? She is a Holland Lop.
Also, what brands are good to feed and how much hay?
Sorry for all the questions, but one more...
What are a few less than ideal ingredients in bunny foods, etc... ?
Thank you very much!

4piggers

Cavy Slave
Like Guinea pigs...hay is 24/7. I feed my rabbits, one bowl of pellet a day (I have large bowls as I have some large breed rabbits, I dont know the breed of your friends rabbit). And they get their *salad* daily like the pigs also.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
She is a 9 month old Holland Lop.

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
I use Oxbow pellets for my rabbit. Most breeders do use bunny 16 though. I live in CT and my daughter loves Hollands. Did your friend get the rabbit from Hip Hop Hollands? Just out of curiousity.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
NO, his friend (and I am not very happy about this at all) is a breeder (a very irresponsible one on top of it), and that is where he got the bunny. He actually just bred her again, after she lost all of the other babies in the first litter. I think it is absolutely ridiculous. But the sad part is, the friend where the bunny came from is basically telling him to not listen to me, and that I don't know what I am talking about.
The last time, I explained to him over and over again that he can lose the momma and babies, but he said he can get to a vet. (He didn't have her checked during the pregnancy to the best of my knowledge), and he can't understand why they died. It could be an underlying medical issue, he was feeding Kaytee at the time, so it could have been that she wasn't getting what she needed to sustain herself and the babies, couldn't it?
Overpopulation is a problem, and people are not going to know how big of a problem it really is until it directly affects everyone.
Meanwhile, we are here trying to do all that we can and this is what we get. People really aggravate me! :(

4piggers

Cavy Slave
NO, his friend (and I am not very happy about this at all) is a breeder (a very irresponsible one on top of it), and that is where he got the bunny. He actually just bred her again, after she lost all of the other babies in the first litter. I think it is absolutely ridiculous. But the sad part is, the friend where the bunny came from is basically telling him to not listen to me, and that I don't know what I am talking about.
The last time, I explained to him over and over again that he can lose the momma and babies, but he said he can get to a vet. (He didn't have her checked during the pregnancy to the best of my knowledge), and he can't understand why they died. It could be an underlying medical issue, he was feeding Kaytee at the time, so it could have been that she wasn't getting what she needed to sustain herself and the babies, couldn't it?
Overpopulation is a problem, and people are not going to know how big of a problem it really is until it directly affects everyone.
Meanwhile, we are here trying to do all that we can and this is what we get. People really aggravate me! :(

There are many reasons for loosing a liter. If it was her first litter, it is common for the babies not to make it. Esp depending on her age. She may have been to young to provide enough for herself and the babies too....or she may not have known what to do with them once they were here. She also may not have produced milk if she was young also. So I wouldnt jump to the conclusion that it was an underlying medical issue.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
We have 5 rabbits...suggest oxbow brand rabbit pellets or mannapro grow formula..1/4 cup per lb, unlimited hay plus 1 cup of mixed greens a day. Too much of pellets may create diarrhea.

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
A great site about rabbit diets is:
(broken link removed)

I also highly recommend:
House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide

(broken link removed)

I give my bunnies unlimited Timothy hay, measured amounts of Oxbow pellets and a large green salad daily. I stay away from store bought rabbit "treats" as they are usually just sugar!

Good luck!

PS: Please tell your friend it would be a very good idea to get her bunny spayed/neutered.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I am not assuming it is an underlying medical issue, but he didn't even really care. I am trying to help him, and he is getting "advice" from all the wrong people, because it is more convenient for him.
I was talking to him the other day, and he said that she has been bred and that is it. He said he didn't care about what I thought about it, And the sense I got was that whatever happens, oh well. He is being ignorant, rude and immature about the whole thing. I have tried getting some sense into him, but I can't. He said it isn't bad breeding because he isn't looking to make a profit off the animals, and he is giving them back to the person who had the animal before he did. She is supposed to take care of them I guess.

4piggers

Cavy Slave
I am not assuming it is an underlying medical issue, but he didn't even really care. I am trying to help him, and he is getting "advice" from all the wrong people, because it is more convenient for him.
I was talking to him the other day, and he said that she has been bred and that is it. He said he didn't care about what I thought about it, And the sense I got was that whatever happens, oh well. He is being ignorant, rude and immature about the whole thing. I have tried getting some sense into him, but I can't. He said it isn't bad breeding because he isn't looking to make a profit off the animals, and he is giving them back to the person who had the animal before he did. She is supposed to take care of them I guess.

I didnt mean it to sound bad, I was just letting you know the possible reasons for the loss.

Sorry he is acting that way...I hope all goes well.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Oh I know you didn't mean it that way. Its fine.
Thanks, I hope the light bulb will begin to go off over his head! :D It probably won't though, but I won't give up I can assure all of you on that! :)

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I have told him on several occasions, and when I saw him after reading that post. He thinks spaying/neutering is un necessary

RainbowPiggy

Cavy Slave
Hay should be avaliable 24/7 and Timmothy hay is recomended. Also Oxbow pellets are best.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all of your help so far.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.