Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fobia's?

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
Does anyone here have anything they are terrified of?
As I get older, I become more scared to venture to place's that I don't know where they are, (driving) . Like this morning I had to take my car to get a few things fixed (new car glitches) and I was shaking so bad the whole way there,
40 or so km's in peak hr traffic..
It affects me so bad, Everyone allways make's lite of it but I usually won't go somewhere I don't know unless it's REALLY easy to get to. My memory is terrible and I allways forget even if I've been there once or twice before!
I think I have panic attacks? But not sure...

I have no idea why I'm like this apart from my eye's, I can't see signs a long way off and usually when I can see it, I've just gone past it...then I get lost.
Should this happen? Its getting to the point that it's effecting my family life because if I need to go somewhere unfamiluar, I try to take a map reader
(ie,, friend)

What should I do?
Ps) I do love to drive (locally) not a rev head, 14yrs onroad & no accidents!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
You sound exactley like my mum. She get's panicky when she needs to drive to new places - she won't take my to my mates house, my dad has to! She doesn't get panick attacts though, but you can tell she's very nervous. I'll ask her later why she get's like this...

I don't have any phobia's on the other hand...I'm not particularly fond of spiders but I don't have aracnaphobia (sp?).

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
My mum too was like this, she would never leave the house. The best thing you can do is go to the doctor. You might need some counsiling. (sp?) It sounds like you are having something like a panic attack. Normally you will start shaking and have trouble breathing, if it is this bad you must see a doctor, the longer it carries on the worse it will get.

Gd luck, theres really nothing to worry about and dont worry you are not alone in this.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
My mom is the same way...my dad will actually drive her places so that she knows how to get there. I still remember as a kid (I was 9), she picked me up at school with the car. I had to run back inside to get something & someone told her she couldn't stand where she was. Instead of driving around again until I came back out...she went home!!!! I came running out of school just to see her drive off & then I started bawling. I guess she just completely panicked & didn't know where else she could go.

The bad thing is that I seem to have inherited this. When I first learned how to drive I didn't have this problem at all. It was all a matter of, "oh well, I'll get there eventually." But then I got into 2 accidents in a short space of time. (Well actually only one, the other incident involved a tiny ramp in a garage. My car stalled going up & I didn't have enough space to roll back down without going straight into a wall.) And since then I get freaked out driving to new places. Lately I've been telling the part of me that panics to "shut up & just drive." It also helps that my boyfriend doesn't know how to drive, so I'm always the one behind the wheel.

And if all else fails, there's always my bike.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I'm horribly afraid of elevators and needles. I used to be afriad of dogs but I got over that one (but hyper dogs still make me nervous. Especially big ones) When I go in an elevator I have to hold something (like a railing) or I cling to my husband.

With needles I have to grin and bear it. I don't donate blood and I don't know what I would do if I had to have an IV. They would have to cover it with a towel ot tissue so I couldn't see it, I think. That's what they did when I took my husband to the ER and I just could bring myself to look at his IV. I also can't bring myself to put in earrings, even though my ears are peirced. People keep buying me earrings because they can see the rements of the holes (they closed up when I was 13). My husband thinks it's a shame since he thinks I'd look pretty in earrings. He bought me some cuffs that go on the top part of your ear.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I was never fond of driving to begin with. I wouldnt drive at night if I didnt have to and I hated going anywhere I never went to before. This has gotten much worse in the past 2 years. My daughter now usually drives me and her father places that I dont want to drive to. My mother keeps telling me I have to get in the car and just fight my emotions and go. My view on this subject is that anyone who gets behind the wheel of a car with panic in their hearts are looking for an accident. As much as I hate relying on others to take me places, I rather be alive then drive in a panic.

Trixie

Cavy Slave
I have panick attacks. Mine are inheirtied from my dad's sides of the family. So I know excatly how you feel. Its not fun and a horrible way of life. Let me tell ya. I am a school bus driver. I go out of town a ton. I just came back from A really big city, Albquerque New Mexico. Well I had a panic attak on my way back. I cried while I was driving and had to force myself to the next small town. By then it was over.
Yes if it is that bad that you are worried to go places. The best thing is to get your map plan your route. Highlight if you need to the way to go and get back out. Just incase you miss your exit always always plan a 2nd route.
Some ppl can deal with these attacks easily. But me I have taken 3 or 4 different types of medication to help me with them. My dad takes Celixa, my mom and my brother are taking a new drug that is out. I have yet to find a drug that works well for me. Celixa made me into a really big "B" so I had to stop taking it. I also gained 52 pounds on them. :( . Paxil gave me the shakes and buspar helped except I had a twitch in my right side of my face. Bad side affect.
So now I am dealing with them on my own. I can't let this problem old me back from day to day life. Otherwise I would be home bound. That is not for me. I mean I can't go shopping,movies,etc without my cell phone or someone with me.

Just keep in mind that things that happen are everyday things. Over come your fear and don't give into the attacks or they will win and you will lose big time. Take deep breaths and remind yourself. That you can do it. Your fine and if you end up in a place you intended not to be, Stop, Breath and relax. Look at your map find where you are and go about what you are there to do. Don't let it control you. Do your best to win every fight you will have with this horrible bug.
I was told it is a chemical imbalance in the brain. So either talk to your doc and get some meds to help or fight your way threw it. Either way good luck. I wish you the best!
If you have anymore questions let me know. I know quiet a bit about this and can help you if you need it. You can instant message me on msn at [email protected] or icq 1843632. I will be happy to chat with you more.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I suffered from daily panic attacks as well. I have an anxiety disorder. I am not on Seroquel (along with Trileptol, Geodon, and Effexor XR) But the Seroquel helps TREMENDOUSLY if I take 25mg in the morning and 75mg at night to fall asleep. (My body will not get tired without medication).

Good luck, and consider seeing somebody.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
What do panic attacks feel like? I didn't know so many people are like my mum... Just today we went bowling and out to eat. My mum wouldn't drive even though she's been to this place a couple of times. She forced my brother to drive the car

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Piglet are you homeschooled?

They feel like (for me) you are watching everything through a TV, everyone sound like they are talking through muffled megaphones. You can't breathe and everything feels heavy.

My last huge one was on a rollar coaster, my mum screamed for them to stop it and it took a half hour to get me off. I felt really bad.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
No way, I would hate to be homeschooled (no offense to anyone that is). I'm on my easter holidays so that's why I'm forever posting during the day.

Oh gosh, they sound scary. Have you been having them all your life then?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Ah.

No, just in the last 3 years. I am heavily medicated so a lot of the problems are not evident.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Well, that's ok - at least things are under control =)

Aren't you on your holidays? Another whole week.... ahhhhh.

o0Ms Jenny0o

Cavy Slave
Sharks!! Auuugh!! Oh man. I've heard tooooo many horror stories. I'll never even try to surf, all it takes is one time! I for one like having arms and legs.
Here's a tip- if you ever come in contact with a shark, roll up into a ball, this way they can't grap a limb and swim off with it! I read that somewhere, sounded smart to me.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
cheers for the tip jenny!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Piglet said:
Well, that's ok - at least things are under control =)

Aren't you on your holidays? Another whole week.... ahhhhh.
No, we had a week off in February... Two days off in March (easter was on a weekend) ... and Spring Break is 2 weeks away.

jacblades

Cavy Slave
if the shark is small and the water is shallow enough for you to stand, grab it by the gills and pull it backwards. the shark cannot breathe.
or poke it in the eye.
i love the ocean and it's unusual lifeforms but sharks do make me a bit paranoid.

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
Umm needles and heights. ugh

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am only terrified of car wrecks. I have never been in one but terrified of being in one. I hate tarantulas too. I have panic attacks occasionally when I am in stressful situations. I try to avoid stress as much as possible. P.S. the word is Phobia, :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.