Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Flippers

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
If you are using flippers with the plastic on the inside do you still make the box insert? What I am thinking is to make the 6 inch frame in 4 pieces and have it slide in one long fleece slip on with a 3 inch flap that lays on the floor and the flippers on top of that( of course adding an extra layer of puppy pads. Making quick flippers with the fleece and towels cut to size and Velcro them. I can not sew and I refuse to spend $100.00 for one set. has anyone done anything like this?

emttami

Cavy Slave
I can not sew and I refuse to spend $100.00 for one set. has anyone done anything like this?

I AGREE!!! Looking for some similar answers!

emttami

Cavy Slave
:cool: Ahhh-Huh!! YouTube...duh...why didn't I think of that...
Thank-You!!!!! Definitely will help!! :)

addictivejuliet

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
No problem :)
Happy to help!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
These videos are showing the products that cost a fortune. What you did was advertise for something I said I did not want to do, spend $100.00 for a set. I have already been to that site and saw how expensive they were.

addictivejuliet

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
What I did was show you how you could make them.
I taught myself how to sew last week, you could do it too.
and although it may not have helped you, it helped someone else.
The video's show you the uses of fleece flippers, and what they should look like when they are made.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I use them (homemade of course!) but you will definately want the coroplast box or something under because the poops tend to fall inbetween or down in the corners so you will want something to catch that if it happens. Its not a lot and its easy to pick up if you keep up with it but still probably don't want that falling all over your floor. They are nice though and make very easy clean up when doing cage changes because they are smaller and easier to handle than a big piece of fleece. Good Luck!! Here is a picture of mine.

2012-12-04_18-31-06_780.jpg

NM_MOM

Cavy Slave
someone else posted a no sew using a full panel of coroplast, fleece and I think uhaul blanket, but bind it together with binder clips.No sew guinea pig cage liners - YouTube Is this what you are talking about or looking for?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
The video's show you the uses of fleece flippers, and what they should look like when they are made.

Thanks, I didn't mean to sound so catty, I am a very blunt person, my kids hate me ;)

I failed sewing in school many many years ago, I don't think I can learn how to sew, my abilities lie else where...lol

I can build a pc with my eyes closed though or build furniture. I really wanted more so to know if you still used the box and put the flippers in that.

Thanks though.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
someone else posted a no sew using a full panel of coroplast, fleece and I think uhaul blanket, but bind it together with binder clips.No sew guinea pig cage liners - YouTube Is this what you are talking about or looking for?

Yes! I just went and got painters easy release tape and decided to tape the backs but this works great too. Plus they have many colors and styles now. All the videos I watched, i didn't see that.

Thanks!

NM_MOM

Cavy Slave
Oh good, i'm glad that helped. The nice thing about this is you can still wash them individually. and when you vacuum, the fleece won't pull up because it's all together.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I know you say you cannot sew but all you do is cut one long peice to size (the long way), fold it in half, and sew a straight line down each side so when you are done its like a pillow case. Takes a few minutes once they are cut. Its VERY easy. I am not a great sewer either but these are simple simple simple. :D

NM_MOM

Cavy Slave
I wonder how well no sew fabric glue works. I know you have to wash the fleece once maybe every 2 weeks. I may need to try that even though I know how to sew, I'm kind of curious.

emttami

Cavy Slave

That is exactly what I did too, thanks to looking at your post. I have NEVER sewn before but just like others I wasn't looking to spend the money to buy these so... I bought a mini sewing machine from Walmart (25$) and took 2 days of playing around and in no time I was sewing a straight line. I immediately ordered a larger sewing machine and I am having a blast making these fleece flippers. I have started on making my own fleece sacks now. One thing for me, After I made the fleece flippers like in the vide's. I decided to not use the chloroplast and sew it up just like a thick heavy blanket with 2 pieces of U-haul on the inside. Works very well for me and my boys love it. Faster, easier & no extra expense for chloroplast. Pictures below. Thanks addictivej

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg
Guinealover10
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

PorkyPiggy

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry if I sound like a moron... I'm a newbie. What's the difference between a flipper and a liner?

Guinea_lover327
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
That is exactly what I did too, thanks to looking at your post. I have NEVER sewn before but just like others I wasn't looking to spend the money to buy these so... I bought a mini sewing machine from Walmart (25$) and took 2 days of playing around and in no time I was sewing a straight line. I immediately ordered a larger sewing machine and I am having a blast making these fleece flippers. I have started on making my own fleece sacks now. One thing for me, After I made the fleece flippers like in the vide's. I decided to not use the chloroplast and sew it up just like a thick heavy blanket with 2 pieces of U-haul on the inside. Works very well for me and my boys love it. Faster, easier & no extra expense for chloroplast. Pictures below. Thanks addictivej

I got a sewing machine from walmart too and made some pillowcases for the flippers. I think I will just make the liners like you did, it would be quicker and easier. I still can't sew a straight line unless I draw one on the cloth.

emttami

Cavy Slave
Yes, I use those for playtime. I do have to keep an eye on one of my boys b/c he is a nibbler but the others do not bite at it. It's foam but easy clean up and very soft. I bought mine at Lowe's. I have also seen them at Home Depot. They are interlocking play mats. Just expensive. I think I paid $20.00 for (1) package of 4 big square mats.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.