Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

First trip to the vet

Piggy Pip's Mom

Cavy Slave
Hello, I'm a new pig mommy to Pip. He's approximately 3 months old (I think...according to the store where we purchased him) and I have scheduled his first appt at the vet for next week. I thought it would be a good idea for him to get a check up. I am a newbie but want to do everything possible to ensure he is healthy and well cared for...I already know he's loved to pieces by me!! I plan on getting help from the vet's assistant with clipping his little nails for the first time, kinda nervous and don't want to hurt him.

Any tips for first trips to the vet? Any questions I should ask?

Thanks for your feedback!

Is th vet experienced with cavies? It's important that you screen the vet to make sure they know what they are doing. Some questions to ask (which I compiled together from (broken link removed) and (broken link removed) ) are:
-How many cavies do you see and treat each month?
-What is the extent of your medical training regarding cavies?
-Who would you recommend for an after hours emergency?
-What antibiotic do you prefer to use on adult guinea pigs with a URI (upper respiratory infection)? (Baytril, Doxycycline, and Chloramphenicol are good choices. If they list any penicillin based drugs, hang up the phone -- after pointing them toward some of the fine reference books listed below.)
-Can Baytril be used on young pigs? ("We know the answer is that it is not recommended, there are safer alternatives for young pigs.")
-What types of foods do you recommend feeding a guinea pig? ("I can't tell you how many vets told me to feed alfalfa on a daily basis!")
-Can you do an anesthetized dental exam? (Needs to say yes)
-What would you prescribe for mites (ivermectin or selamectin, NOT Frontline or sulfur baths) -What types of antibiotics would you prescribe for an upper respiratory infection? (Baytril, Bactrim, or TMZ, NOT any penicillin derivative, as these are toxic to small animals).
-Does your clinic have hand-feeding formula such as Oxbow’s Critical Care and could you teach me to hand feed if my pig or rabbit was critically ill? (Needs to say yes)

I found the vets I will be screening (based on what they sya on the websites) by googling "exotic vets in" and then put my town and state in.

As a side note: Guinea lyxn explains how to hand feed, and I know of a website you can get Critical Care on just in case, so it's not vital that the vet have it, but it would be nice.

Initial thought when reading your reply...oh my gosh I am in way over my head with this guinea pig.

Second thought...I'm more nervous about Pip's upcoming vet appointment than when I have to take my daughter to see her peditrician!

Third thought...I am so thankful to have found this site and be able to get solid advice from people such as yourself. Thanks!!

Haha. I don't think it will be that hard for you to find a cavy savvy vet.

Re: First trip to the vet - with replies from the vet...

I emailed the vet that I have an appt for Pip scheduled with next week to ask some questions. Here are the questions and responses. Feedback / advice from a cavy slave for this newbie mom would be appreciated.

How many cavies do you see and treat each month?
2-6 guinea pigs per month

What is the extent of your medical training regarding cavies?
I've been doing exotic pets including guinea pigs for over 10 years.

Who would you recommend for an after hours emergency?
We are your after hours emergency exotic veterinarian. The Veterinary Teaching Hospital forwards the exotic pet emergency phone calls to us.

What antibiotic do you prefer to use on adult guinea pigs with a URI?
TMS-cherry flavored syrup

Can Baytril be used on young pigs?
No Baytril on any young animals

What types of foods do you recommend feeding a guinea pig?
Commercial pelleted diets so long as the pet store rotates and keep their stock fresh and be particular regarding the vitamin C content of such diets because Vit C degrades quickly from these diets. Also have high quality hay available at all times to your guinea pig.

Can you do an anesthetized dental exam?
Is this for exam or filing of teeth? I would never file teeth without anesthesia, but some exams can be done without depending on the problem; yes I have anesthetized guinea pigs.

What would you prescribe for mites?
My favorite treatment for mites is currently off the market, but I still have some medicated dusting powder that we do medicate baths weekly for 3 weeks in a row. Soon I won't have any more of this safe dusting powder and will have to use the ivomec which can be used SC or PO.

Does your clinic have hand-feeding formula such as Oxbow’s Critical Care and could you teach me to hand feed if my pig was critically ill?
We have taught many an owner how to syringe feed many different animals and yes I do carry oxbows critical care diets for herbivores (in 2 flavors) and I carry the reptile formula as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are good answers. Seems like you have a good vet.

Whew!! Glad I got a good one. I did call all the vets in our area to see who provided GP care and who didn't. I got many referrals to the vet that I ended up picking. So between the referrals and her good answers I feel relieved.

I have a problem with a couple of the answers. Sorry but I had to edit your thread to make it a bit more readable.

Commercial pelleted diets so long as the pet store rotates and keep their stock fresh and be particular regarding the vitamin C content of such diets because Vit C degrades quickly from these diets. Also have high quality hay available at all times to your guinea pig.

This answer the vet does not mention anything about vegetables which are very important in a cavies diet and he doesn't say plain pellets only. He just states commercial pelleted diets. Does that mean plain pellets or pellet mixes? I'd question further on this.

My favorite treatment for mites is currently off the market, but I still have some medicated dusting powder that we do medicate baths weekly for 3 weeks in a row. Soon I won't have any more of this safe dusting powder and will have to use the ivomec which can be used SC or PO.

And this one he states about a dusting powder which can be dangerous to pigs. Most of the dusting powder type treatments contain pyrethrins which can be toxic to guinea pigs. So if you needed your pigs treated for mites, make sure he uses the ivomec.

Bring your credit card. I'm not kidding.

I just got back from my first vet visit (with a GREAT cavy vet by the way).

It was $200!

One of my piggies has lice (so they were both treated) and one has a bit of a blockage but otherwise they are healthy.

I was surprised at the bill (it's more than my dog!) but I guess it's because they are "exotics"??

Anyhow - expect a high bill. And write down any questions you might have - helps a lot when you get there to have a list!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.