Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems First time having a guinea pig

nousername

Cavy Slave
I got my 3 months old guinea pig yesterday and everything was well. He is shy perhaps due to the new environment.

I am also doing more and more research on keeping him healthy and happy.

However, just a couple hours ago, I found a bald spot in between his left ear and eye. The right side is black hair and completely fine.

I got him from Petland discount Manhattan, he was in a cage with 2 other pigs(around the same size) and he wasn't an on-sale item( around 45 dollars)

Does this look like mites or fungus infection?

If I returned him, they would probably kill him. I have a friend who used to work there.

Tomorrow is Sunday and the vet is off. The closet one is 3 hours ago.

Is there anything I could do? Please help, I'm extremely worried about him. Thank you.

P.S. He doesn't scratch much, but sometimes he likes to shake like a wet dog.

nousername

Cavy Slave
Is room temperature of 61 degree too cold for him?
Is pine bedding toxic to him?
Does he have to consume timothy hay?
I have been feeding him green bell peppers, apple, carrot and orange. Is it ok or too much in sugar?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am very lost now. Thanks

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
I'm not really sure how much that is in celcius, but I converted it and it seems a little cold. You should have kiln-dried bedding, and make sure it's not too aromic and strong smelling. Make sure the guinea pig has access to the timothy hay 24/7. You might want to cut down on apple and oranges and feed them as treats only occasionally.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

I have been feeding him green bell peppers, apple, carrot and orange. Is it ok or too much in sugar?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am very lost now. Thanks

Yes, it's little chilly. 64 degrees would be better.

Yes, pine and cedar can be irritating to their feet and airways. It needs to be kiln dried and not aromatic. Read here: https://www.guinealynx.info/bedding_wood.html , and here for a better alternative:https://www.guinealynx.info/bedding_fleece.html

Yes, Timothy hay 24/7. Oxbow is best (from store) or you can order on line for better quality and price. Read here: https://www.guinealynx.info/hay.html

He needs a good salad mix of dark leafy greens; the bell pepper is OK, fruits are 1-2 x per week as a treat, and watch the carrots-not too many. Read here:https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

Play around on that website, and you'll have most of your answers. Good luck!

nousername

Cavy Slave
thanks guys for the helpful advises

nousername

Cavy Slave
I came to understand it is not good to buy from a pet store. They don't give a damn on the animals. They treated them like objects.

My pig doesn't scratch himself and has a bald spot. He doesn't even move that much perhaps he is still scared of us and the new environment.

Pet store told me to keep watching and then hung up on me. Sigh.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Sixty-one degrees is probably ok, but he might prefer it a little warmer. They do much better with cooler temperatures than with warmer ones.

Kiln-dried pine (the package should be clearly marked) is fine for him -- anything that is not marked kiln-dried is not.

He doesn't have to have timothy hay, but he needs a long-strand grass hay. Timothy is one choice, others are orchard, bluegrass, meadow and brome. Alfalfa is not a true hay, it's a legume, like peas.

He needs red or green leaf lettuce and 1/4 of a small-medium bell pepper per day. Fruit should be given in small amounts only once or twice a week. One baby carrot per day is the limit. Other veggies he can have include tomato, summer squash, endive, herbs, and corn husks and silks. Seehttps://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html for what can be fed and how often.

The spot looks like fungus. See www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for treatment instructions.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, because the ivermectin paste is mixed and given orally, and the cream is used topically.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.