Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet First Checkup Questions

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I am working on getting a vet that takes care of Guinea Pigs and we are looking around at a few different places and have found a vet that takes care of Guinea Pigs and is nearby us.

Now, the vet said they definitely will take a Guinea Pig for a checkup. The only thing I am worried about is that this place only advertises for dogs/cats and whatnot. So basically, I haven't heard of Guinea Pigs at this place until now. I know that people say you shouldn't just take the Guinea Pig to a dog/cat vet, BUT, I have never been to a vet before so I wouldn't be able to tell if this vet is reliable yet. I will be able to tell once I get there and whatnot....... So, what should I do about this? Should I worry that they don't go outright and say "WE ARE EXPERTS AT GUINEA PIGS AND WILL HELP YOU OUT NO MATTER WHAT! GUINEA PIGS AND OWNERS WELCOME!" or would I be better off to wait until the checkup to make any decisions about the vet? I will also post here telling everyone what the vet does and whatnot so I can have some help deciding if this is a good vet.

This checkup is basically because I want an idea on how my Guinea Pigs are doing. It has been nearly 2 months since I got the Guinea Pigs. Would this be a good time to get the checkup?

What price should I be considering reasonable? I will pay whatever for the initial checkup and whatever else I may need to, but what should I expect to pay? Should it cost per pig?

__

Just kinda a newbie with the vet experience. Thanks!

Nothing is wrong (noticeably) with my Guinea Pigs, mind you all. I just really want to get them in so I can know if I am doing well.

__

Thanks!

____

Frapplove

Cavy Slave
I say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with just getting a check-up. You never know what they might find. I took my Frapps in just for a routine check-up as well. The vet clinic I chose does advertise and is very proud of their exotic care, though. It costs $50 for exotics there, be it sugar glider or guinea pig, but only for the first one you bring in-that is, any additional animals on the same visit are discounted. I can tell you what happened on our visit and hopefully that helps you decide when you have yours.
My boyfriend and I brought in our two guins and our two sugar gliders. She (the vet) began by asking us about their care-what we fed them, what they lived in, what our house was like, how old they were, where we got them, etc., and if we had any questions/concerns. I told her about how I treated Frappe for mites with ivermectin and mentioned other things; I wanted to test a little to see how much she knew about guinea pigs. Then she took the guins and weighed them, inspected their ears/eyes/mouth/feet/coat/skin and overall appearance/attitude. She did notice something about Frappe's eyes, and after much inspection Frappe and I were brought over to the "eye vet" (optometrist) where there was more inspecting. However, we were not charged the additional price for seeing the eye vet. While we were gone from the other room, the sugar gliders ran around on their daddy (my bf) and got their own check-up but I wasn't there so I can't say much about it. In the end, Frappe went home with some eye drops, and we all went home a happy family. The next day, she called to check up on how everyone was doing! I hope that helps you :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd ask how many guinea pigs they've treated. I'd also call guinea pig rescues near you (you can find them on Petfinder) and find out which vets they recommend. It doesn't sound like the vet specializes in exotics so there could be issues with meds and not recognizing symptoms that an exotic vet would catch quickly. The first time I called the local vet to make an appointment, they told me they don't specialize in exotics and referred me to one that did. Vet costs vary widely by vet and by area. I use two vets and one charges $31 for an office visit and the other one charges $58. They're in the same town and almost across the street from one another. Their other fees and med costs vary, too.

ech90

Cavy Slave
I took in my two guinea pigs for their first check up (I had had them for about a month and a half at the time, just like you) in December. It cost $120 for the first one and $108 for the second one (the second one has a 10% off discount for bringing in more than one). I asked her to clip their toenails, which I didn't realize cost an additional $15 for each pig! They also did some sort of test on one of the poops and put one of them on 1 weeks worth of antibiotics, so in total the bill came out to just under $300. In general the vets around where I live do seem to charge more than in other places, but I still felt like I was paying a lot.

I was not very happy paying so much, but I think it would have been easier to swallow if I had been more satisfied with the visit. As it is I am probably going to have to bring in one of my piggies to see a different vet, which of course is going to cost more money.

So yes, I definitely agree with Pinky to ask how many guinea pigs they've treated at that practice. You can also check the Guinea Lynx forums at (broken link removed)to see if you can find any that live near you. That is definitely a good place to start, but when calling anyone from there I would still ask about how many guinea pigs they have treated/what is there specific experience with exotics. Just because they say that they will "see" exotics does not necessarily mean that they "specialize" in exotics. If the vast majority of their patients are cats and dogs, I really would suggest that you try to find someone who truly specializes in exotics. Not that the other veterinarians aren't good vets, but I think that you will be much happier with your experience. Good luck!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
OK, thanks everyone!

Here's the scoop:

I found another vet. On the main page of their website, they have a list of services, and it says that take care of Rabbits, Rodents, Guinea Pigs, and other Pocket Animals. I called them, and they say the DEFINITELY care for Guinea Pigs. This place is somewhat close to me, about a 20 minute drive there probably give or take 10 minutes. They have WONDERFUL facilities. Very modern, 4 examination rooms, sound-buffered holding kennels and rooms, etc..

Anyway, they said it is $37 PER PIG regardless. So, does this seem like a reasonable cost and a good facility? (I won't know about the vet themselves, until I meet them. They have 4 doctors, 1 of which actually owns Guinea Pigs!)

Thanks again!

mac73

Cavy Slave
I had to take one of ours to the vet last week. The exam fee was 43 dollars. So, the fee you were quouted seems in line with mine. Good luck.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I had to take one of ours to the vet last week. The exam fee was 43 dollars. So, the fee you were quouted seems in line with mine. Good luck.

Thank you for the confirmation Mac.

;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.