Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Finally solved the problem of the knocked over food bowls

• Thread starter PiggieMamaKelly
  • Start date

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
My pigs are always knocking over their food bowls and spilling their pellets everywhere. They do it on purpose most of the time and it really wastes a lot of food. I've finally figured out how to keep the bowls from tipping.

Velcro! I have some velcro that has self-adhesive on the back. I put a small square on the side of the bowl, and a small square on the side of the coroplast. And now there's no more knocking over. I know they are trying because I can hear the velcro ripping a little but they aren't strong enough to pull the bowls off. The bowls can still be easily removed for cage cleaning or to throw in the dishwasher.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the idea...my pigs often dump over their food bowl into their hay and run through it. *runs to the store and demands velcro*.

Basil&Clover

Cavy Slave
You can also just get some heavy bowls. Or get a crock like this:(broken link removed)

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I have that crock and I love it. Just wish it didn't require me supporting PetCo/Smart to get it. :mad: (I got it before i knew about how bad they were)

MissGinger

Cavy Slave
I have one of those Hang off the sides bowl & a cat bowl i got at the dollar store.

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
I use stainless steel bird bowls and clamp them to the sides

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I don't know how to use those clamping bowls with the coroplast, unless you cut holes in the coro???

I do have heavy bowls, but not wide ones because I need muliple bowls per cage and don't want to take up that much space with large bowls. They're ceramic, but appearantly not heavy enough for piggies who like to tip them.

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
We use low, heavy ceramic bowls. They're impossible for a piggie to flip.

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
The bowls are just above the coroplast and the piggies have a step up to them. They seem to work well. The pigs can't get in them so the pallets stay clean and they can reach them easily.

Reiland

Cavy Slave
Mine just started flipping his dish as well. Tonight, he did it right in front of DH - an entire dish of food. If he keeps this up, he's going to end up with the dish attached to the side of his cage.

Incidentally, he's also started scattering his hay everywhere, and actually moving his pigloo on top of the haydish (he doesn't have a rack, he doesn't use them well)...and then he can't get in the pigloo :crazy: I'm trying to figure out if he's acting out about something or annoyed or if he's just bored and rearranging.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
ha ha! Sounds like some of the mischeif my pigs get in! I try to keep everything nice and neat and they just go around messing things up. Mine take the food bowls into their pigloos, but I think they are just trying to hog food. And of course they drive their pigloos ALLLLL over the cages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.