Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Filly care.....any good websites or forums like this one??

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Just out of curiosity, do any of you know of a really good filly care website and/or forum like this one that we're on now for cavies?
I know how to use google, and I am using it as we speak, its just that baby horses (foals) are a ton more complicated to care for than cavy pups, and if I even get this filly, I need the right information. Also, I'm not being very successful with google at the moment.

Thank you!! It would be great if you were a foal-owner and you could offer some advice too. '')

Shadows_Gold

Cavy Slave
You could go to E-Equestrian.com thats the site I go to.

Angelgal
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Actually, the man who made the ad and I have been communicating through email, and tonight he picture-messaged me some photos of her, plus he talked about something in one of the emails that said "a year ago" (don't remember right now exactly what it said).
She looks like a yearling rather than a foal from the photos, and I guess from the "a year ago" phrase.

L0L, are yearlings still considered young horses? I think they should be...

Whether or not yearlings are still considered young horses, I don't think I've ever had an "encounter" (L0L, it sounds like Jaws: imagine the classic theme song, and then the title "YEARLING" ,rated R.. xD) with a horse as young as between 1-2 years.

I've been doing some research, is there something in particular that I need to be like, warned of? L0L, it almost sounds like there is!! XD

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
Are you horse-experienced already? Foals require a lot of consistent training and handling by someone experienced with working with horses. Yes, yearlings are DEFINATELY still babies, which is worrysome you are looking into one yet aren't sure of this. Horses are technically colts/fillies until four I beleive, but many people still think of horses older than this as babies since they can take a lot of time to fully grow and mature mentally and physically.

If you've never even met a foal, I would strongly urge you against buying (as I'm assuming this is an intentionally bred foal) one. They require tremendous patience and a yearling will not be ready for training or riding for another couple years. I can not stress how important it is to have this foal in experienced hands and trained well at their baby stage in life, which is why your posts concern me.

Angelgal

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Foals and yearling require a great amount of care from very experienced people. I've trained horses basically since I could walk (well, of course I had parental help...maybe I should say I've been around horse-training all my life). Anyway, young horses are a pain in the a** at many times. It takes a lot of patience and horse experience to properly train and provide for one. Right now I have three horses, and one of them is a yearling. Believe me, Mari is not one for new riders. Lessons are crucial, if you haven't before, and starting with a calmer, older horse is best if you aren't experienced.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you everyone for your input. I had no idea that yearlings were pains in the but. I'm going to totally forget about that idea.

I did take lessons for 2 years when I was 10 years old, but we had to stop because we moved, and I never started up again. Now I'm older and I want to start up lessons again.
I got up to learning how to canter, and learning how to sit like a jockey does on the horse while cantering. This was in preparation for jumping, which you have to be in that hunched up kinda position for. They also devoted lesson time to teaching basic, essential, everyday horse care including approaching, handling, etc. I would just need a refresher course basically to make sure I catch back up to where I was at that one point I described before.

Thank you so much for your input again, everybody!

Last edited by a moderator:

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I rode for 6 years and I'm looking to volunteer to ride at a shelter. I have never raised one but foals bite and kick. Just to add to all the amazing input people have said. One more thing, before you look into adopting a horse, I would try and get more experience under your belt. ;)

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Unless you are planning on riding in advanced competitions and need a horse of excellent and proven breeding, and are prepared to pay huge amounts for a horse like that, then it is ridiculous to buy.

An estimated 200,000 horses (in the U.S. alone) end up on double decker trailers every year headed for slaughter houses in Canada and Mexico. Horse rescues are full to overflowing and the reputable rescues have well trained, healthy and perfectly rideable horses up for adoption. Like any animal, if people keep buying from unscrupulous breeders, then more horses will suffer and die. Please consider adoption instead and make certain you understand how much work and money a horse will need. Insure you are prepared to make a lifelong commitment to a horse and can provide for it's retirement when it is no longer "useful". They are not easy or cheap animals to keep, thus why so many horses end up getting dumped at auctions and end up at slaughter.

You may find this blog both entertaining and enlightening Fugly Horse of the Day

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
I love FHOTD, and second that it is educational and entertaining.

Yes, if years ago you had two years of walk trot lessons, I would definately not think you are ready for a yearling. I believe more lessons on a school horse would be valuable for you right now, to improve/refresh your skills and see if it's still something you enjoy. When you get more advanced and are looking into a horse (and are well aware of the huge monetary and time commitments), an older, well schooled horse is generally a prefered first horse. VJ's suggestion for adoption is a great one.

I got up to learning how to canter, and learning how to sit like a jockey does on the horse while cantering. This was in preparation for jumping, which you have to be in that hunched up kinda position for. They also devoted lesson time to teaching basic, essential, everyday horse care including approaching, handling, etc. I would just need a refresher course basically to make sure I catch back up to where I was at that one point I described before.

You're probably referring to two-point, though one should not be hunched up, rather stretching tall.

After a 'refresher' course, it would still be useful to improve your skills before considering horse ownership.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Ditto what Pixie said. While the lessons may be "refreshing" for your memory, I would still improve your skills before buying a young horse. Or any horse, for that matter. Even calm horses have bad days. VJ also has a good point. Buying a slaughter-horse is an excellent way to save a life and get a great horse. One of my horses, Mae, was going to be sold to slaughter at an auction. My other horses were fresh off the track, although that isn't a good idea for someone who doesn't have a *lot* of experience, because retraining a horse that was trained to gallop in circles is not easy (a broken arm and rib later, I've realized that).

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
I already said in the last post that I was going to totally forget about that idea. But thanks anyways!!
Well, it wasn't really hunched up, it was whatever you call that position you're supposed to get in, in English riding, as you approach the jump. Similar to what jockeys do, I suppose.

Hey, my friend who is working to get her horse training certification for teaching lessons said that miniature horses often have health problems. But don't some handicapped people have them as assistance animals? Of course dogs are the most popular assistance pet, but how do they expect a person who is that handicapped to deal with their mini-horse if it happens to come down with one of whatever their common health problems are?

I mean, they're cute, but it sounds like they would end up costing more than a regular-size horse because of health issues. I don't even know why a handicapped person would choose one over a dog, except if they're afraid of dogs, or allergic to them, or not allowed to have them or whatever.

Thanks again everyone, please be assured I'm no longer getting a yearling, I wasn't going to actually go through with it in the first place, I told the man that.

Also, which would be better, English style riding or Western pleasure? Why don't they ever say "English pleasure"? Is it because western is more relaxed than English? Whats the main difference besides the saddle and dress code?
Thanks in advance for your answers.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
In my opinion, if your not showing competitively, there isn't much of a difference between English and Western. English saddles are smaller, and they don't have a horn. The stirrups are shorter and you wear breeches or jodhpurs and boots while riding. Western saddles are bigger, with a horn and longer stirrups. A lot of Western riders wear jeans while riding. Of course, helmets are needed for both. I prefer English riding, but I show my horses and do the whole dressage and jumping thing. I ride both, but I started out English and don't like Western as much. Western is supposed to be easier, and I think it is, but I guess its your personal opinion.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
Also, which would be better, English style riding or Western pleasure? Why don't they ever say "English pleasure"? Is it because western is more relaxed than English? Whats the main difference besides the saddle and dress code?
Thanks in advance for your answers.

You were asking for help since you said you were possibly going to get a foal, yet you were never going to?

English and Western is personal preference. Though I started riding Western, I switched to english after a few years and have been mainly riding english since. I much prefer it, but again, many people like western better. Many horses can be taught to ride both ways.

Aside from the difference in typical dress and tack (including bits, saddles, and bridles, which vary from disclipline to discipline in addition) reining style, posture, and techniques are different. "Pleasure riding" can refer to just non-competetive riding for fun in either discipline. I believe you are speaking of the Western Pleasure CLASS while showing. In this class, horses are judged on low, relaxed headsets, sloooow gait and how comfortable the ride is for the rider. These can be contreversial, as the slowed down gait is not natural for the horse, and though they may be pleasurable for the rider, the horses aren't having any fun.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Well, I said
"and if I even get this filly"
, so I thought people would understand that meant it wasn't a done deal so to speak.

Anyways, PixieStix- Wow! How slow are they talking about? Like, "a horse that just barely made it out of the Sahara desert " slow? Like just plodding along? That would seem boring to me too, and the poor horse L0L! I mean, if you practice and practice and ride alot, then its eventually not as uncomfortable as it first was in the beginning. Its not even that bad to begin with, they just have to get used to it. Oh well, whatever floats their boat I suppose...x_X

I think it might've been lessons they were talking about, the website is hilltopstables.com All it says is that the lessons they offer are either English Conformation or Western Pleasure. But I think you're right, Pixie, because they could be lessons that culminate in a competition.

Thanks to Pixie and Dra; I've already experienced English a bit, so I'll start with Western and see if I'd rather continue with that or go back to English.

Does anyone know about mini-horses and it supposedly being common for them to have health problems? I'm going to go google that now.

Angelgal

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
I have never heard of specific health problems with minis, and have known a few. There is currently a darling little mini filly at my barn. What a lot of people don't realize is that mini's require care like a regular horse- they need exercise, proper food, farrier work, vet, etc. Many people treat them like a dog instead of a horse, neglecting these necesseties. There's a great re-post on Fugly right now about minis.

Yes, I should have specified. I agree many horses are happiest and most comfortable with slow trots/jogs (though obviously not for all), it's the lope that can cause problems. I was reading something on Fugly a while ago, that this slowed down lope caused health or soundness problems for these horses later in life, couldn't remember it all.

I totally agree Angelgal the right match is important, but think (especially on a pro adoption forum) rescue first should be considered. Obviously a horse of the track will be way too much to handle for an inexperienced rider, but rescues will have bombproof, well trained horses too. Any reputable rescue will start (capable and appropriately aged) horses on training and often under saddle, and though many of these horses still need further training, some saved from auction and such will have already have had good training and will be refreshed by the rescue.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
I have a mini at the barn I ride at as well. Sunni is perfectly healty and has a sweet personality. I say you keep checking into rescues regularly, because, especially for a first-time owner, finding a perfect match is key.

Jealoushe

Cavy Slave
Google the Chronicle of the Horse BB. It is by far the best horse related board out there.

Please don't become a horse owner, without years of knowledge and hands on experience while working with trainers, instructors.

Best of luck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.