Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching EXTREMLY CONFUSED! Guinea pig scratching a lot but no signs of parasites????

Piggies_4_Life

Cavy Slave
So here the scoop...my guinea pig has been scratching a ton and I checked up on him and searched through his fur. There was nothing. I was going to go to the vet when all of a sudden (the next day) the scratching stopped. I kept an I on him and noticed the scrathcing continued once again. I checked his fur once more and noticed tiny tiny little black dots. His fur seemed fine (no blood flow, scabs, or hair loss...etc.) What is this!!?? Please help I am sooo confused!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
He probably has mites. You can't see them, because they are microscopic. You can treat him with Ivermectin, or take him to the vet. If you do take him to the vet, don't let them do a skin scraping, 50% of the time they are falsely accurate. Does he have a friend, mites are contagious and guinea pigs need a pal.

Piggies_4_Life

Cavy Slave
unfortunately he does not have a buddy :( so he could have obtained mites from my dog...but i also wonder if it could be skin irritation...because i could have bathed him too often or maybe i didn't clean his fleece thoroughly enough..im still highly confused. I want to take him to the vet but my mom said no until it get serious..WHAT?! I can't believe they won't let me. She said "it's not necessary until we know what it is causing the itching" My parents even laughed when i told them it was a strong concern. :'(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Piggies_4_Life

Cavy Slave
Will this product work @bpatters (broken link removed)? And if it doesn't how do I get (broken link removed)?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, it won't work. You don't want a flea and tick spray for guinea pigs.

Did you read my previous post? #4 in this thread? I gave you a link to order both ivermectin and the syringes. It's the easiest kind of ivermectin to give (you want the .5% pour-on kind).

Piggy_

Cavy Slave
If you have a dog, don't forget there's a possibility your guinea pig has caught fleas, and the black spots could be flea dirt (though mites is a likely and more serious diagnosis, so follow the instructions of bpatters first). If treating with ivermectin isn't effective, you may need to visit the vet to obtain Revolution treatments for your guinea pig :)

Piggies_4_Life

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

@bpatters i found this on amazon... will this do the job i think im ordering it today

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.