Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids Escaping Guinea Pig!?

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
So apparently my grids are too big for my baby guinea pigs, or at least one that found out that she can squeeze her whole head and body through a hole. I looked away one second and noticed she was gone. Luckily she was just behind her cage, but I put her back because I thought she climbed somehow because the cage cover was open, but she showed me how she had done it and tried to escape again. So I have no idea what to do, the other piggy is still in her cage but I moved the Houdini to an empty fish tank. I can't keep her in there all night, so what should I do? I don't have enough grids to make the holes smaller, but I guess I am going to try and tape some pieces of paper or something to cover the holes.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Are you using grids from Target? Some of those grids are 5x5 squares across, guinea pigs can slip through them. The ones that are 8x8 square across are dangerous, guinea pigs can get their heads stuck.

If your grids are the normal 9x9 squares. You'll need to babyproof.

You can use cardboard or if you have extra coroplast, you can use it. Just wedge the board between the grids and coroplast.

How old are your pigs?

See this gallery for babyproofing.
(broken link removed)

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks and yes they are 9x9 squares, babyproofing it is!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.