Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Easiest bedding besides fleece?

guineapigsxo

Cavy Slave
Due to my mental state/health I am having a very hard time keeping up with cleaning the cages. I have been using fleece but I am not able to keep up with the laundry anymore. I need something that would just need to be easily switched out once a week if possible. I know the wood pellets are popular but I have stacked cages and I don't think I would be able to lift a bag into the top cage to fill it, but I am open to any suggestions. Thank you in advance!!

Carefresh is a good idea but filling a cage is costly. Its really the only downside in my opinion to using it.

I use mini flakes now because of my back. I use to use wood pellets under the flakes. The flakes come in a 40lb bag, you can get them at a feed store. They cost $6-8.00 a bag. It takes longer but I use a big plastic bowl to fill the cage if my boys aren't around to dump the bag for me. I have a 2x7 and I get two changes from the bag.

You don't have to lift the whole bag at one time. You can just cut a hole in the top of the bag and use a kitchen pot as a dipper to move the pellets to the upper cage.

Thank you everyone! :love:

I'd second Carefresh or a similar paper based bedding. I like it better than woodshavings because the Carefresh gets packed down so it doesn't fly everywhere and make a mess. Make sure to shop around, since it can be pricey. It's currently on sale here: https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+10375+29684&pcatid=29684

Yes, the mini flakes make a mess but two full cage changes for $6.00 compared to $18.00 for a full cage for carefresh.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.