Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Droopy eyes.

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Harvey has droopy eyes, what I mean by this is that his lower eyelids are droopy and I can see the whites of his eyes - and also some of the red stuff ( not sure what it's called - the inner of the eye - like when you pull the lower lid inside out). what is this, should I take him to the vet? he doesn't seem to be in any pain with it at all.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Do you mean his eyeballs are kind of retreating? I could be wrong, but I think it's a lack of vitamin C or dehydration. In my experience it usually clears itself up, but see what more knowledgeable people say. I think there's also a page about eye health on guinealynx.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Gentle drooping over a number of years can be a sign of old age, but from what you are saying I'm more inclined towards what the link Myspoiltpiggies gave you describes.

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the eye page on guinealynx - I think this is what it is:

Pea Eye
Pea eye (or fatty eye) is a permanent protrusion of the conjunctival sac, thought to be inherited. Pea eye and fatty eye are frequently grouped together by vets as conjunctival swelling. These conjunctival protrusions can be removed by laser if they are interfering with vision. Cavies with pea eye generally do not seem to be uncomfortable and treatment is usually not necessary.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you found out what it most likely is. It should go away on it's own over time, if I'm remembering correctly.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I would watch closely to make sure it isn't a swelling due to injury or eye infection instead of just pea eye. Pea eye won't go away but it shouldn't get any worse either. An injury or infection will either get worse or if it's very minor heal on it's own. Also if you look down the page farther it mentions that pea eye could be the sign of a heart condition instead of just hereditary.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
If it seems to affecting the eyesight them bring the pig to the vet. I have 2 pigs with it.

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
It won't go away, and I've never heard of it affecting eyesight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.