Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Can a guinea pig licking your eye give you pink eye?

Everlee

Cavy Gazer
This is my first time on here but I wanted to know if my 1yo female guinea pig could give me pink eye if she links my eyes. I've had her for 2 months and shes only started licking me a week ago. I am worried about getting pink eye from her especially since I've heard that guinea pigs eat their own feces.

Thanks, -Everlee~

I would think you could get all sorts of infections if any animal licks your eyes. You're right, GPs do eat their own feces. If you wouldn't take one of those poops and rub it in your eyes, you shouldn't let the pig lick them.

I would think you could get all sorts of infections if any animal licks your eyes. You're right, GPs do eat their own feces. If you wouldn't take one of those poops and rub it in your eyes, you shouldn't let the pig lick them.
Thank you so much for the reply, I will make sure she wont lick me near my eyes

Since pinkeye is caused by getting bacteria from fecal matter in your eye, and yes, piggie DO eat their poops, I would definitely suggest not letting her lick you near your eyes. Not to mention licking your fingers and THEN putting your finger in your eye.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.