Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Double Chin

Terekins

Cavy Slave
Yes, that's where I'm going. They were so great when I had Oda neutered!

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
I PM'd you about that. I am kinda thinking of neutering my boys.

Terekins

Cavy Slave
Well, we went to the vet today and poor Sherman had several tests done. She had an X--ray, skin scrapping and a fungus check. I could heard her screaming from two rooms over. It was one of those whistle cries they make when they're calling for help and are in danger; when she came out I felt so bad, I told her I was sorry no one came to her rescue :(
Anyway, they didn't find any evidence of mites but we're treating her with Revolution just in case, and the tests for fungus will come back in a couple of weeks. As far as her abscess (that's what it was afterall), it seems to be healing well but she's on antibiotics for a week.
I dosed everyone when we got home, cleaned the cage and now everyone's going about their everyday guinea pig business.
Here's poor Sherman after her rough day, having a snack:

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
Poor Shermy. Glad she's going to be fine though. What a cute hairdo.

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
She had an X--ray, skin scrapping and a fungus check. I could heard her screaming from two rooms over. It was one of those whistle cries they make when they're calling for help and are in danger; when she came out I felt so bad, I told her I was sorry no one came to her rescue

This procedure is very painful for the pigs. It really shouldn't be done at all because most times it will come back with negative results unless the exact spots the mites are at are scraped. No need to make pigs go through pain.

As far as what to do, keep them quarantined in separate rooms until the 3 week period is up.

I honestly wouldn't even have this done as quoted above and as you found out, it is very painful. Even if your vet suggested it you probably would have been fine without it if you had just treated your pig. Unless, did the vet say it was absolutely necessary?

I hope Sherman will be okay.

clotho

Cavy Slave
Tere I'm so sorry Sherman went through all that, but I bet you're glad you took her in! It's good she is healing up well.

Guinea Lynx :: Antibiotics will give you info on antibiotics - hopefully your vet is cavy savy and gave you a good one!

Guinea Lynx :: What You Need To Know About Antibiotics will give you some advice you should read, and Guinea Lynx :: Probiotics will explain about the need to give probiotics while Sherman is on antibiotics. You can take a dropping from a healthy cavy and use that - or use acidophilus tablets. It's all explained in that link.

If the vet was going to give you Revolution anyways, whether they found mites in the skin scraping or not, I do NOT understand why they would even bother to do it. It's obviously painful, and from everything I"ve read on here, most times it gives a false negative result. So why put the piggie through it if they were going to give you the medicine anyways, just in case?

Anyways, I am just happy Sherman is home and hope that she is doing ok. Please keep us updated on her progress and let her know we're thinking of her!

Terekins

Cavy Slave
That's so frustrating. You know it occured to me when she explained the skin scrapping process that it probably would only be accurate if they did it in the right place...but I figured she knew best. I'm a little skeptical about the fungus check too, because the vet pointed to Sherman's bald spot behind her ear and said that a "round bald area indicates ringworm". Maybe she thought her bald spot was abnormally bald? To be honest the test cost me a fortune ($125 with courrier fees), but if I hadn't done it and the Revolution didn't work I'd have to get it done later anyway, so I went ahead with it (put it on my VISA!).

If she does indeed have mites, how long does it usually take before you see results from the treatment (i.e. less scratching)? She seems to be much more active this morning, but I did see her biting the fur on her belly once or twice.

Thank you all for your kind words!

clotho

Cavy Slave
Hi again Tere

It's frustrating because you think the vet knows best, but they don't always. I'm glad that Sherman seems more active today! I have never used Revolution so I'm not sure how quick it works, but I'd think fairly quickly. I hope you do the probiotic along with the antibiotics. Sending get well wishes to Sherman!

Terekins

Cavy Slave
Yes, she does seem better, and scratching much less. I'm keeping a close eye on her :)
Thanks,

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
I'm glad to hear that she is doing better!

When I first got Bo, he had flaky skin around his ears and scabs as well. I brought him to the clinic I now work at, and he was treated with Revolution. I followed that treatment 2 mores times and the scabs and flaky ears dissappeared. At that time he had a scraping of the flaky skin-no cries or anything, and of course it showed nothing.

My newest piggie makes me itch when I hold him and get sort of a rash as well, so I am re-treating both of my piggies with revolution. I have had no ill side effects of using this.

Terekins

Cavy Slave
It seems like the Revolution is working--much less scratching. At the vets they told me to treat again in 3 weeks, is that correct? They just gave me syringes with the measured dosage, and said to come back for the next dosage. However I'd rather not take them all in to the vets unless necessary because it's stressful. Is Revolution available to purchase at the vets or at regular stores? (I would get Ivermectin as Clotho suggested, but the vets don't seem to have it and I don't know of a feed store within bus-ride distance.)

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
It seems like the Revolution is working--much less scratching. At the vets they told me to treat again in 3 weeks, is that correct? They just gave me syringes with the measured dosage, and said to come back for the next dosage. However I'd rather not take them all in to the vets unless necessary because it's stressful. Is Revolution available to purchase at the vets or at regular stores? (I would get Ivermectin as Clotho suggested, but the vets don't seem to have it and I don't know of a feed store within bus-ride distance.)

I usually treat once monthly for revolution when I am treating my boys. I take 1 single tube of the mauve color and that gives me 1 dose per pig. I also have to syringe it out of the tube. Revolution is normally sold in vet clinics.

There is a feed store in Lower Sackville. I live out there and could easily tell you which buses you would need to get there. I too am a slave of the HRM Metro Transit!

I have a question for you...how long does a 5lb bag of Cavy Cuisine last you? I go through a bag a month. I am thinking of ordering 8 bags but didn't want it to expire before I could use it. I know I asked about 50 lb box of the same stuff. Would you be interested in buying say 2-3 bags?

clotho

Cavy Slave
I'm fairly certain revolution is only available from a vet with a prescription.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-ivermectin.html?highlight=ivermectin+online

Check out this link for some online sites that sell ivermectin. However, you would have to check on whether there would be a problem getting it across the border. Sounds like sophistic-chick may have solved your problem though, with directions to get to a feed store via the bus route. Just make sure to call ahead and be positive you can get the ivermectin. Just remember it is marketed for use on cattle and horses. I found the 1% injectable very easy to work with, but it's all in your personal preference whether you want to treat topically or orally - using liquid or paste. It will be SO much cheaper to take the trip out and get the ivermectin at the feed store than to take all your piggies back to the vet again. Plus it will give you enough ivermectin for many, many MANY future doses if needed!

If you decide to continue with the revolution, I don't see why your vet would not give you the next dosage if you drop in (without the piggies) and let you administer it at home. You could at least ask. Then you would not have the stress of bringing the piggies in. I still cannot believe the vet does not have ivermectin. You could try phoning a few vets and see if one of them would sell you a small amount of it.

I'm so glad to hear that Sherman is doing better - scratching less!

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
I'm fairly certain revolution is only available from a vet with a prescription.

If you decide to continue with the revolution, I don't see why your vet would not give you the next dosage if you drop in (without the piggies) and let you administer it at home. You could at least ask. Then you would not have the stress of bringing the piggies in. I still cannot believe the vet does not have ivermectin. You could try phoning a few vets and see if one of them would sell you a small amount of it.

Revolution is avaible without an Rx in Canada. At my hospital, dogs are a special case (heartworm test/waivers, etc). Also it is able to be in sold single tubes, unlike Advantage.

Most clinics would sell a single tube of revolution, which for me, is a dose for each pig. (2 doses total). I used the mauve color with the dose 0.1ml/kg.

clotho

Cavy Slave
I was just going by Guinea Lynx when it said revolution requires a prescription. I did not realize you could get it in Canada without a prescription. Thanks for the info!

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
Not a problem. I had a quick look on lynx but didn't see where it said it was only available with Rx.

clotho

Cavy Slave
Guinea Lynx :: Antiparasitics click on Selamectin - here is what it said:

"A newer treatment for mites and lice requiring a prescription."

By the way, I love your idea of trying to order cavy cuisine in bulk to save money and share it with another guinea pig lover! I assume if you buy 8 bags you get a deal? Or you could take it one step further and buy the 50 lb bag and share it - if it wouldn't expire before you use it up! I have 8 guinea pigs, and I just bought a 50 lb bag of it just for us - I am figuring it will last maybe 8 months tops! LOL I hope you can work it out and save some money for yourselves!

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
*smacks forehead* I guess I skimmed too quick. Actually I am ordering it wholesale through my vet clinic, well hopefully I can. I was thinking about the 50 lb box but I don't think I would get through that fast enough, even if I were to split it. The supplier has product dated to last until next Jan.

Terekins

Cavy Slave
You know I've never tried Cavy Cuisine (I mean my pigs haven't, haha, I love cheesy jokes), I usually just make sure to get plain pellets. I'm sure the quality is much better. I'd really like to check out the feed store, would it be the 80 I would take? I live in Fairview :) It's so neat to know that there are other guinea pig lovers in the city!
Thank for the links, Clotho, I'll check those out!

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
You would take the 80 until you get to the SACKVILLE TERMINAL. From there you would need to take the 82 MILLWOOD or th 83 SPRINGFIELD. You would go up sackville drive past the "Kent" store, as well as 2 convience stores, after you pass the second one pull the cord. That will make the bus stop in front of an Avoda (s/p?) Cafe and the Valley Field Farms will be on your right.

Would you be interested in buying some food? I've placed my order.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.