Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Doc is now too svelt!

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Some of you may recall that when we adopted Doc from craigslist he tipped the scales at a whopping 3lbs, 4.8 ozs. I knew that being on a good, varied diet and a larger cage to move around in, he would lose some weight so I didn't worry about it when he kept shedding the ounces.

He has been to the vet 4 times total in the (about) 3 months that we've had him for the eye (blocked tear duct) and a neuter. Each time he has checked out fine with the vet. I've asked about the weight loss but the vet didn't seem concerned as he is still in the normal weight range. (he was then about 2lbs 6ozs. Last night he was 2lbs 3.8 ozs) He is cavy savvy and is used by our local GP rescue and I have been very pleased with them. I don't want to second guess my vet as he very knowledgable, but now that Doc has lost over a pound (yes, pound) I can't help but worry. The vet mentioned that it could be stress if the girls are picking on him. He eats well and seems healthy but he's starting to feel bony. The girls weigh about the same but they're more solid than Doc is now. The last time he went to the vet was on Sept 3rd for a follow up on the tear duct. He has been on antibiotics for about a month for this. Could this also be contributing to the weight loss?

Would you make yet another appointment? And if so, what would you ask that they check for? He has only lost a few ounces since his last appointment, the pound loss is total since we got him.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Being on the anti-biotics and in a new cage situation may have contributed to the excess weight loss. He probably should put on some weight again once he's off the AB's. He's lost just over 2 ounces so I wouldn't fret just yet. Just be on alert and if he losses about two more it's time to make a vet call and most likely a visit.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
You could supplement his daily intake with something like Critical Care. ABs do kill the appetite, especially when they are long term. Perhaps some extra munchies just for him at lap time? Or giving him a private place to eat his share of the booty? He has been through a lot of late. I hope he "chubs" up again soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.