Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dirty Water Bottle?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I just shove a paper towel in there, Find A stick or something that will fit in the hole, Mush it around in there & rinse & it comes out squeaky clean.

You can also buy a bottle brush. Are your water bottles plastic or glass? I'm thinking about investing in glass bottles.

I tried to clean a plastic one one time that had sat out because it wasn't being used. I had rinsed but not washed and scrubbed it and I wanted to use it and when I went to clean it the gunk had formed, I couldn't get it out. I even soaked the bottle in boiling water and it wouldn't remove it.

I just wanted to add that it had only sat out for about a week. :yuck:

Last edited:
This is not a new idea you have here guineaman. It's been on/around the forum a long time. Rice, some water and even an added teaspoon of vinegar will clean a water bottle.

Nevermind, the glass bottle I wanted won't hang properly from their cage so I returned it. :sad:

My piggies water bottles get like that too, I will have to try that.

You need to wash the water bottles on a regular basis.

I usually wash ours with a bottle brush once a week on cage cleaning day.

The bottle Rufus uses gets dirty a lot quicker because he back-washes pellet sludge up into it. I have to change his water twice a day (instead of once like the others), and brush it out twice a week (instead of once).

I've also read that the rice method works very well, but have not tried it myself.

I use Q-tips to clean in the meteal drinking part of mine. It used to get really gross but I just bought this new one that is a spring loaded leak proof bottle. So there isnt the little ball in it. I havent had to clean it yet so I'm not sure if the Q-tips would work.

Great tip!!! I hadnt heard of that before! I think the dishwasher works great though too...and just rinse it out a little extra, just in case!

I don't use spring loaded water bottles, my pigs could never get the hang of them. So, I actually use the q-tips in the metal sipping part as well! You can really get in there with q-tips and remove a lot of green sludge. I clean my water bottles every time I re-fill them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.