Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Towels Destructive pig - what to do?

OpFor

Cavy Slave
We've been using towels since we got my guinea pig a new cage in December, but recently, she's been feeling destructive, so the towels have become an issue.

She knows the towels don't stay put, so she'll headbutt them until she can move them, and then she throws them around the cage and burrows under them (which is, admittedly, cute). The problem is, she gets really lazy when she burrows, and would prefer to poop under there rather than move. She rips up the newspaper, and generally, just makes a big mess, which I don't really feel like cleaning up 5 times a day.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can keep the towels in place, so she can't move them? This is a medium-sized C&C cage bought from this website.

You should have a wicking layer over the towels to draw the moisture away from where they sit. That being said, buy some small, flat cobblestones that you can get at a garden center and place them around the corners. I found that those around 5 lbs and more flat than round work the best. They're easy to wash off if they get soiled and don't absorb moisture so they dry fast. My pigs liked to use them as pillows.

We've been using towels since we got my guinea pig a new cage in December, but recently, she's been feeling destructive, so the towels have become an issue.

She knows the towels don't stay put, so she'll headbutt them until she can move them, and then she throws them around the cage and burrows under them (which is, admittedly, cute). The problem is, she gets really lazy when she burrows, and would prefer to poop under there rather than move. She rips up the newspaper, and generally, just makes a big mess, which I don't really feel like cleaning up 5 times a day.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can keep the towels in place, so she can't move them? This is a medium-sized C&C cage bought from this website.

Firstly, she shouldn't be able to have access to the towels at all since she could easily chew on and choke on the towel fibers! The towels should be covered with fleece (100% polyester) that is either tucked over the sides of the coroplast or clipped into place. Once that is done, she won't be able to burrow under the towels. It sounds like she like to burrow though so i would suggest getting her a cozy or making her one! My pigs love them :)
Best of luck!

My lower level is incontinence pads and fleece over coroplast. My fleece is held in place with binder clips so they can not burrow under them. TBH, towels and newspaper are not very good bedding as they do not wick away the moisture properly in the cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.