Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Dakota keeps biting?

• Thread starter animallover2424
  • Start date

animallover2424

Cavy Slave
Whenever I hold him or try to pet him he bites me. I had him for almost six months now. How can I get him to stop biting? I hold him for almost a half hour to an hour a day, but he keeps biting.

Is he biting after you've held him for awhile? That can mean he needs to go to the bathroom.
Does he bite you hard?
Sometimes my piggies nip me when I am trying to pet them in their cage only because they are checking for food.

When I pick him up he bites. I don't hold him for more than 5-10 minutes at a time. And yes it is hard, he has drawn blood a couple times.

How do you hold him? It could be how your holding him. If not, maybe he just doesn't like to be held...? If I think of anything else, I'll let you know

I was thinking the same thing, are you holding him so his whole body is supported?
When I've got Ernie in my lap and move him to trim nails he will nip at my fingers until he feels totally secure.

Do you give him food while you're holding him? If not, try it - it will give him something else to bite on!

Has your piggie been treated for mites? A piggie infested with mites is in pain accross their skin when touched and can cause biting.

If not I suggest you do. It's easy and cheap to do from home. Follow the directions on guinealynx.

So you're picking him up quite a bit every day, it seems. My pigs get disgruntled if I pick them up more than two or three times every day, it's just too much jostling and stress for them. I picked Fred up three or four times one day out of necessity, and by the end he got sick of it and bit me. I gave him a day or so to cool down, and then picked him up no more than twice a day (floor time, lap time/nail clipping) since, and I haven't been bitten again.

Ani, my other pig, doesn't "taste" people like Fred does when looking for food, she bites down and drags. So if I'm silly enough to put my hand out in front of her like I'm offering food, I might get bit.

Try wrapping your pig in a towel to hold it. Sometimes they feel more secure that way and they'll tolerate being held longer. Try to go for longer at a time holding your pig -- maybe half an hour in one sitting. If he doesn't like being held, then he doesn't like being held. Lap time is for you, not him, so handling him less might give him a chance to relax.

Consider trying to be more active in the cage instead. Fred HATES lap time so instead I mess with the hay and the food and the water a few times a day, not to add more, but just to change things up and be present. When they get floor time I like to sit in the middle sometimes, and if they want to come say hello, they get to say hello. If not, no stress for anyone.

My bottom line is, not all pigs like being held, and if yours doesn't then you're exacerbating the problem by picking him up three or more times every day. Try to be more active in the cage instead, and hold him for more time in each sitting. That will relax him and make him more receptive to you, because he won't have to worry about being jostled around and floated feet above the ground every time he sees your hands near the cage. Make your hands more than just something to fear -- bring little veggie treats to hand feed, and don't pick him up every time you go in the cage. I always take the pigs out to feed treats like dandelions or fruit, because they get them so rarely, and on the whole this makes them more tolerant of lap time and being held -- they get something good out of it.

Hope something in there helps!

Thanks I will try some of your suggestions. And yes I checked him for mites using guinea lynx, thanks though.

Nibbling and biting are two different things. My pigs nibble but they never draw blood. I only get bitten by Sebastian during bath time as he is very uncomfortable with it. I know he doesn't have mites because he's been treated for them.

To pet and pick up a pig that lays into your hand and draws blood is not common at all. Guinea pigs rarely bite and I think bringing up if your guinea pig has been treated for mites is a valid concern.

And yes I checked him for mites using guinea lynx, thanks though.

How did you check him for mites? They are microscopic and can't been seen by the naked eye. Sounds bogus to me.

How did you check him for mites? They are microscopic and can't been seen by the naked eye. Sounds bogus to me.

He hasn't been scratching and he doesn't have any scabs or anything. Plus I brought him to the vet less than a week ago.

The vet isn't really going to know if he has mites and unless he's been treated for them I don't think you can rule that out completely.

It's not normal for a guinea pig to just blatantly bite and draw blood. There are some biters out there but unless you can rule out mites I don't think you can accept him as a biter.

ETA: Biting is a symtom of mites as other symptoms may not be present.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.