Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cut lip and a newly nuetered old man

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
One of my babies broke his teeth. They will be fine, but he also sliced his lip. Is there anything that i can do to make him more comfortable?That was may first question. The second one is: i have a seven year old boar who got nuetered three days ago. I have another one who is shcedualed for his surgary later this week. Im kind of worried about them. Is there anything at all that i should watch out for? Especialy with the old man.Something like an infection?Please help im pretty nervous

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Thanks i feel better now.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Ive read a lot about broken teeth since my pigs have broken their teeth a few times. Do you know if i could get those jaw opener things? Would it be a good idea to look for them so i could keep better track of their teeth?

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
i think those tools need to get from special supplier. mayb ask the vet whether they can help u to get 1

Treen

Cavy Slave
The buccal pad separators are for looking at the back teeth - it sounds as if yours are breaking their front teeth (incisors) so they wouldn't be much use there. You can see the front teeth clearly enough just by holding their lips back a little.

Plus even if you were interested in monitoring the back teeth, to be able to use the buccal pad separators safely and be able to recognise when there is a problem with the back teeth, you'd need some degree of training by someone very experienced. If I suspected one of my pigs had a problem with their back teeth, I'd much sooner see someone very experienced from the start, rather than trying to assess it myself, with only a little experience and knowledge.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Thanks. What you said if very true. I was just wondering if i should look in to getting one. Sounds like i shouldnt. Do you know how i could help my pigs keep their teeth down? They have lots of chew sticks that they use, but they seem to nees a little more help. I would apreciate any ideas.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.