Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Curved toe nails.

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. I just rescued two piggies. One was from a breeder and the other was dumped because she wasn't living up to show potential. Anyways, the youngest girl has a serious case of curved toe nails. I talked to my vet about it, but she doesn't specialize in the small exotic breeds. Wish I would have known that before I took them in! I feel awful, like im not living up to my responsiblity. Is there anyway to cure it at home? She is in alot of pain, and I am looking for a vet right now that specializes in cavy care. She has a super serious case, I can give my website out, it has pigtures of her with her super sad cury nails. The other one is completly healthy. Shes our healthy piglet, but Montrey is our favorite. Our little curved toenailed girl. Help?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Cut her nails. It's not that hard to do and once they are cut, she won't be in the pain she's in now.

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Here are some pigtures of my girl.

Last edited by a moderator:

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
I know how to but she bites and brings blood when you trim them, and their so curved its impossible to take out the curve. I just feel so terrible, and Im working so hard to find a vet that can maybe cut them straight. I cant believe her previous owner let it get this bad! I questioned her about it, and she called me selfish for caring!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Until you can find a good vet, just trim the very, very tips of the nail every couple of days. Little by little, they'll get back to a normal length.

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Okay. I will try that. I am just so afraid I will hurt her. But I guess it will be alot better when shes all better. Thanks for the advise.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
It's hard to see the toenails on that first picture, but it LOOKS like the back toe nails are VERY long. I would definitely try to cut them.

It sounds really hard and scary at first, but after you've done it once, you will be fine. Just make sure to keep the cavy as comfy and redirected as possible when you're doing it.
Give him, her something to munch on.

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Okay, both are shes. I clipped the other ones without a problem. I am just so afraid of hurting her. Since the pigture shes had her back nails clipped. Her front is curved under thats why you can't tell. Its so awful. I am going to talk to a vet tomorrow morning and try to schedule some type of toe nail cutting appointment plus examination. Plus we are getting a new addition tomorrow or sunday and we have to take the new girl to the vet too. (If we get her) Lots of picking out, applications, and whatnot.

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Okay I will. Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. Sunday Montreys going in for specialized toe nail clipping :]

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Her, and her two sisters, are going to see a vet. I am going to trim them up a bit tomorrow though.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Until she sees a vet, just trim the very tips off each day. If you can see the quick, and it isn't right up to the tip of the nail, try clipping a bit more. This will encourage the quick to recede so that her nails can be normal length again. It isn't going to be easy, but try your best. A distraction veggie or a "burrito" wrap can help sometimes. Keep some flour or baking soda handy in case you clip the quick. Dipping the nail in the flour will stop the bleeding quickly and painlessly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.