Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ovarian Cysts Cured from Ovarian Cysts??

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
Hi friends, I haven't been on the forum for so long!

I have an older guinea pig, she will be 7 this September. October of 2018 she began to lose her appetite and lose hair. I took her to the vet where she got shots for mites and multiple other skin related issues. When the issue wasn't resolved they did an ultrasound and told me they found an ovarian cyst. I was devastated and was prepared to play hospice and watch for signs she was ready to be put down. She was still alive, almost completely bald, but seemingly pain free and eating well. So i took her for a checkup and the vet said everything seemed okay and to just watch her for now. Well its June of 2019 and she is better than ever. She has grown back 98% of her hair, her nipples are no longer crusted, her appetite is normal, and she squeaks proudly. My question is.... Has anyone else ever experienced, or is it even possible for, a pig to recover from an ovarian cyst like this? Or did my vet misdiagnose her even though all her symptoms pointed to that?

Obviously I am thrilled she is doing well, just puzzled! If anyone has any advice or idea let me know!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cysts can rupture and never re-form. If there's not too much blood loss, the animal (or person) can come through it ok.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi friends, I haven't been on the forum for so long!

I have an older guinea pig, she will be 7 this September. October of 2018 she began to lose her appetite and lose hair. I took her to the vet where she got shots for mites and multiple other skin related issues. When the issue wasn't resolved they did an ultrasound and told me they found an ovarian cyst. I was devastated and was prepared to play hospice and watch for signs she was ready to be put down. She was still alive, almost completely bald, but seemingly pain free and eating well. So i took her for a checkup and the vet said everything seemed okay and to just watch her for now. Well its June of 2019 and she is better than ever. She has grown back 98% of her hair, her nipples are no longer crusted, her appetite is normal, and she squeaks proudly. My question is.... Has anyone else ever experienced, or is it even possible for, a pig to recover from an ovarian cyst like this? Or did my vet misdiagnose her even though all her symptoms pointed to that?

Obviously I am thrilled she is doing well, just puzzled! If anyone has any advice or idea let me know!

This gives me hope. My girl most likely has an ovarian cyst that vet was unable to 100% confirm on xray since she had a full belly and some fat making it unable to see. Bella has no symptoms. I went in for her paw spur and vet always does a feeling around exam and said her right ovary is bigger than left. That led to xrays.

I'm on fixed income so have to watch finances just to survive. I have a thread on her story which no one's answered. I think financially it makes sense to see if symptoms show up. I'd never know as she looks and acts same ole. She's 2 yo as of a couple days ago.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.