Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Crumbs' medical thread

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Re: Piggy on way out, advice needed please

So sorry to hear what you are going through @wigglemish . Keep hanging in there!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Crumbs has gone quiet again. Friday she was searching for Inga I think. I showed her to them and Crumbs tried to rouse her, it was awful, so I think she understands she is gone. But she kept going from one hidey to the next, over and over, and since Friday night she has sulked and gone off eating on her own again...

I've been giving 15-20ml Cc every three hours. Is it possible this is too much? Am I putting her off her food?

I don't know if I can pull her through to get her teeth checked. She's so so thin. She didn't like the oats and the baby food upset her stomach.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave

@wigglemish , we seem to be in a very similar situation. I also don't know if I can put Sam through getting a CT scan and then whatever dental work if that is the issue. I'm just trying to make him as comfortable as possible as long as he still squeaks and gets excited for veggies.

I don't think 15-20ml every three hours is too much (package says how many dry table spoons per weight and we need to give 6 feedings a day of 15 ml to make that but we don't always make it). We are feeding Sam 15ml every 3-4 hours though I will admit I am not good at getting up in the middle of the night all the time and last night he dropped to 805 because of it but then is back up after some lettuce and feeding and eating a little on his own. Baby food upset Sam's stomach too though he liked eating it more. I have not tried oats because I'm nervous to keep introducing new things.

So sad when the cavies lose their cagemates or friends. This may be part of why Crumbs isn't doing as well again. I've found that stress can really effect both my guinea pigs. Frodo has been really concerned about Sam the whole time and tries to make him play and move or otherwise just sits outside his hidey to keep him company (he didn't do that when he was healthy). I am partly keeping Sam going for Frodo (yes they have cheesy Lord of the Rings names for a reason...). However, Frodo is dominate and can be mean and likes to still rumble for the food bowl, hay area or water bottle which can chase him off (I think he just wants to play like they used to...). We've tried giving them two of each but this doesn't seem to help that much.

I'm praying for Crumbs too! Just keep trying, that is the best you can do.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

At this point it may be difficult to distinguish between an actual illness, and depression. I honestly think it may be both. If her teeth are the problem you'll know soon enough, but losing her cagemate can and sounds like it has affected her profoundly. There simply is no cure for that other than a friend. That must have been so painful to watch, Crumbs trying to rouse Inga. I think when my Pooper passed, my Sly said his goodbyes before I awoke. After I found Pooper, Sly refused to come out of his pigloo.

If she won't eat or drink on her own, then absolutely continue with the critical care, and also syringe her water or plain pedialyte to keep her hydrated.

Myself and my herd are pulling for you and Crumbs. Hopefully all will become more obvious and treatable once the vet sees her again.

Crumbs has gone quiet again. Friday she was searching for Inga I think. I showed her to them and Crumbs tried to rouse her, it was awful, so I think she understands she is gone. But she kept going from one hidey to the next, over and over, and since Friday night she has sulked and gone off eating on her own again...

I've been giving 15-20ml Cc every three hours. Is it possible this is too much? Am I putting her off her food?

I don't know if I can pull her through to get her teeth checked. She's so so thin. She didn't like the oats and the baby food upset her stomach.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

I think depression is an element here. She seems happier when I take her out for her syringes, this evening she took some lettuce quite eagerly from my fiancé in between mouthfuls. Not a lot, but she was more interested than I've seen her in the last 48 hours.

This is her btw, this was with her early evening feed:

DSC_0039.jpg (I don't know how to stop it being sideways sorry)

DSC_0036.jpg

It was heartbreaking to watch her with Inga. They've always been together. She kept nudging her, then burrowed under her front leg and laid down beside her with the leg draped over her shoulders. Both me and my fiancé sobbed.

She has two more cahemates but they are very young. One of them is a little bit of a bully. We tried splitting the cage but that just made her more sad, she stopped moving at all until we took the divider out. Within seconds she was up again. Seeing each other through the divider wasn't enough.

I have to go back to work in the morning. I'm terrified. I know she's not immortal, but I can't take another death so soon.

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

She's so sweet. That must have been heartbreaking to watch, I don't think I could have taken that. Doing what I do for a living I can take a lot, but sad and/or suffering animals are not one of them. I have a very big soft spot for animals.

I think if she has other cagemates, that will help to ease the pain of losing Inga. Perhaps not entirely and not right away, but attention will help. Even though the other is a bit of a bully, maybe some attention is better than none at all. I really wish the best for Crumbs, I am so very much hoping everything turns out well.

Thank you for the pictures, btw. Always nice to put a face to a name :)

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave

Aww she is so pretty and adorable! I hope she gets better soon. Maybe she needs more lap and floor time to get her mind off of her companion.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

At work right now. Crumbs was still off her veg this morning. Picked at it a little, but highly disinterested. She's being clingy with me. Just wants to be held, she kept climbing into my arms when I was doing the syringing. She's sleepy. Still drinking on her own at least.

I think it might be time to make the hard decision. I have no money until Friday to get the investigations done on her teeth, and I am not sure she will last that long without my constant attention. Even then.

I'm a mess. At work in tears.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I'm very very hopeful everything turns around for Crumbs. It sounds like she wants as much attention from the other one she bonded with, that being you.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

I'm very very hopeful everything turns around for Crumbs. It sounds like she wants as much attention from the other one she bonded with, that being you.

i'm finding it impossible to focus at work. Keep thinking of her at home without me. So frightened of what I might get home to.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I honestly know exactly what you're talking about. I was the same way last year with Poopy, not a good frame of mind to be in driving a truck. Think positive, hopfully she'll be there waiting for you and in serious want of some snuggle time!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

I feel you, each minute feels like a lifetime. I don't drive so I'm unable to nip home and check in on her. Hoping so badly she will be there to greet me. My fiance is going to set up piggy cctv tomorrow for my phone, all being well... Honestly I am so anxious I am in physical pain.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Piggy CCTV, I was going to do that but it became unnecessary. I know what you mean by physical pain, I had the same thing.

Try your damndest to think positive. That's absolutely the best thing you can do.

Crumbs WILL be there to greet you. She WILL be.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Just got in through the door to find Crumbs up and about, at a bowl eating veg on her own.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Huge sigh of relief from you, I'll bet.im so happy to hear that.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Huge sigh of relief from you, I'll bet.im so happy to hear that.

I cried. She's just eaten a huge portion with lots of help. Almost 40g of food between Cc, lettuce, strawberry, carrot shaved very thin and sweetcorn (yes I know, lots of sugar. We are desperate). She's also picked at hay a little, worked at a couple of thick strands. Praying this continues.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

That makes me so happy. I know those days. I remember sitting with Poopy with a video camera, watching him eat a big pile of veggies and telling him how happy Daddy was to see him eating.

I do hope to see her feeling better, and eating more on her own. Hopefully, the vet will find the issue and get it corrected.

Lots of pulling for Crumbs, and for her humans on this end of the planet :)

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Crumbs is still doing well this morning. Still eating veg on her own, before and after Cc, she seems to be filling up every gap. I've also seen her visiting the bowl during the night. We've now stopped the antibiotics so hoping her appetite will jump even more. Our large girl Freya is still picking on her, but she's sticking up for herself a bit at least.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I think you'll see a big improvement in her appetite now that you've stopped antibiotics. After Poopy was stopped on the Baytril, his appetite returned within 24 hours.

Good to hear that little Crumbs seems to be improving. Way to go little girl!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

I think you'll see a big improvement in her appetite now that you've stopped antibiotics. After Poopy was stopped on the Baytril, his appetite returned within 24 hours.

I'm hoping so. She's been on Septrin (Bactrim) which is gentler on their tums from what I understand, but any antibiotic I'm assuming ultimately will make them feel a bit rough. Luckily she's VERY into the bio-lapis probiotic, so hopefully that's been combating it a bit. Her poos are long but skinny now. Very distressing to see. She's making lots of them, but they do look odd.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.