Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cropping of Dogs Ears and Tails

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Like I said, all dog breeds were created by humans. You may find the hand of a deity in (broken link removed), but this board is really not the place to discuss it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My breeding which is just starting we are about to breed our first litter in the spring, I breed labs before but I just cannot offer anything to the breed anymore so I do not think it is appropriate to continue breeding them.
This board is also very anti-breeding if you haven't noticed it.

YK Shepherd

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
This board is also very anti-breeding if you haven't noticed it.

Yeah I noticed and I also think this is not the board for me. I did nothing wrong and you guys jump. Have a nice day! I prefer to not be a member on a communist board where people cannot voice their opinion.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
We like to have members who can read the board rules, carry on an intelligent discussion, and refrain from slinging insults. Do you think you fit in?

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I would just like to voice my opinion and say that I am not a communist. lol

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
YK Shepherd said:
I did nothing wrong and you guys jump.
You are talking about breeding on an anti-breeding board. What did you think was going to happen?
YK Shepherd said:
I prefer to not be a member on a communist board where people cannot voice their opinion.
If you want to voice your pro breeding views then join a breeders board. Don't start spouting off about breeding on a board like this and then dare to call people communists.

This forum is VERY obvious about it's feelings on breeding. This fact was not hidden from you. No trap was set to catch you. Get over it.

Cavykid14

Cavy Slave
The reason the dobermans get their ears and tails cropped is because they look ugly the other way. I know its cruel but the dogs are out cold during the operation and they only have to deal with about 1 day of pain and after that they are good to go.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Because they look ugly? If someone doesn't like the way their doberman looks, then they just shouldn't have a doberman. Better yet, just don't look at dobermans, period.

Edit: And I have to ask, how can you think something is ok because the dog is out cold, & yet still think it's cruel. I don't understand the logic there. So basically you're ok with supporting a cruel act?

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
The reason the dobermans get their ears and tails cropped is because they look ugly the other way.
Does that mean if your child is ugly they should get plastic surgery so they would look better? My son was born with a teastain birthmark that covered half of his nose, should I have removed it because he looked ugly that way? You should never put anyone or any animal for that matter through any kind of cosmetic surgury just because you think they look ugly. That is such a horrible thing to say.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Wow. Dock them because they look ugly if you don't, and it's ok because they're out cold. The only reason an animal should ever be out cold is if they're being spayed/neutered, or if they have to have surgery to correct a medical problem, not to make them pretty. Sure, if I was looking for another dog, and I came across one that had already been docked in a shelter, I would still adopt him, but I would never do that to an animal.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
List of pets I have had to put under anesthesia:

Flake, male guinea pig:
neuter

Doom, male guinea pig:
neuter
exploratory surgery (possible post-neuter hernia)/inflamed fat pad removal
neck lump removal, benign hyperplastic thymic nodule
another neck lump removal, lymphocytic thymoma
x-ray to confirm tumor in chest

Hamlette, female Campbell's dwarf hamster:
lower incisor trim (she knocked out the top incisors) and cheek pouch abscess draining

Suzi, female guinea pig:
spay
post-spay hernia fix
suture fix
suture replacement
re-spay (she had very crumbly organs)
cyst drain, 4 or 5 times

Einstein, male lethal white guinea pig:
tooth trim, 20+ times
cheek abscess drain

Cuddles, female guinea pig:
spay
bladder endoscopy and flush

Nowhere in this list is there anything cosmetic!

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Isn't it a law in some religions to be circumcised? I think it's Islam and Judaism.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Cavykid14 said:
The reason the dobermans get their ears and tails cropped is because they look ugly the other way. I know its cruel but the dogs are out cold during the operation and they only have to deal with about 1 day of pain and after that they are good to go.
Go back and read post #3. Here is a link to make it faster https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131189&postcount=3

That vet I worked for used no anesthesia. Other breeders use rubberbands to dock tails.

The poor dogs do not suffer only one day of pain when they get their ears hacked off by self centered owners. They suffer for weeks as their ears, while healing, are propped, taped and retaped. Many puppies mutilate themselves because of the pain. Does this look comfortable to you?

I find it absolutely disgusting that you could be so shallow and self centered that you actually think cutting off a healthy, living piece of an animal improves them.

skirbo

Cavy Slave
I had to pop in and share:

Friend of mine recently had to get her 11 year old son circumcised, because they chose not to do it when he was born since it was just cosmetic. He has spent several years having problem after problem after problem. The surgery and recovery was much more uncomfortable for him than it would have been if they had done it when he was a baby.

2. As to the docking and cropping- I have a doberman, and I don't see anything wrong with tail docking done properly when the dew claws are done. (I've got a huge objection to the tail banding version, but I've been present for many surgical versions and the puppies really don't seem to notice it after the procedure itself is over.) I don't like doing ears, but it is hard to find a well bred doberman without the ears done (my puppy already had his done) and it is very hard to place a grown dog with natural ears (you can ask the rescues).

It's stupid, but the breed standards won't change until people change what they want a doberman to look like. When I was looking at slightly younger doberman puppies, I had to really think hard about the ears, and the reason I had decided that I would get them done (again, I went with an older puppy whose were already done) is because I can't predict the future. I have every intention of making a lifetime commitment to my dog (just like all my other animals) but things do happen. I mean, I have sold and have been 'forced by circumstance' to sell horses in the past. If I got sick, or died, or something, I would hate to think that my otherwise great dog would have a hard time finding a good home because I hadn't complied with the breed standard and gotten his ears cropped. It's a tough moral dilemna, because I love the doberman breed, they are great dogs.

Sarah

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.