Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

New Zealand Creating A rescue...Just a idea....

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm just thinking of maybe creating a rescue for rodents in New Zealand, not right now but maybe in a year or so.
It's past though my thoughts a few times, because I don't think there is any guinea pig rescues in New Zealand and I would really love to help them and to get them into new homes that will give them the love and care they so rightfully deserve.
It's just a thought, I might or might not do this I was just wandering if anyone thinks it would be a good thing to do for rodents of NZ.
It would be for rodents as I'm a huge rodent lover, and have cared for mice, guinea pigs and rabbits. Haven't been lucky enough for to have rats in my life.

What are your thoughts on this?

Haymonster

Cavy Slave
You might want to look at dropping Jess at the Australian Cavy Sanctuary a line. Their website can be found here: (broken link removed)here's a couple of reasons why I think this would be a good idea:
1) She can give you an idea of what it's like to run a rescue. For example, what the start-up costs are, how to manage the logistics etc. I would imagine that the issues we have in Australia are more similar to the issues in New Zealand, when compared to the US or the UK.
2) Although ACS is based in Brisbane, it operates rescues up and down the east coast. The way it seems to work (and I might be wrong here) is that rescues in other cities are operated as "franchises". So, they operate under the ACS banner, and I assume get assistance (financial and just general help) from ACS Brisbane/the nationwide network. It may be easier if you could start operating as a "branch" of ACS. Many rescues in Australia seem to start out this way and sometimes they later become independent, once they find their feet. This is all just my observations though, and I may be wrong about how it all works.

At any rate, if you're serious about opening a rescue in NZ (and that would be fantastic!) then definitely ask advice from people involved in rescue, particularly people who own and/or manage rescues.

abi.25

Cavy Slave
this is a great idea, i was thinking about it the other day actually but there are quite a few in the uk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My advice is to talk to a LOT of rescue owners about the things you need to know BEFORE you start out. For one thing, you need community support and quite a bit of money. You also need dependable caregivers for when you can't do it. It's a big undertaking with a lot of work, and it ties you down to home.

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
That is a great idea! ❤️ Try contacting Kimberly. She was a university student when she started Second Hope Circle - Home, an non-profit organization to help unwanted animals and promote other shelters.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It's a great dream to work towards. The one thing you'd need is access to a reputable exotic vet who will offer you a discount on services. That's probably where most of your funds will go. If you already have a relationship established with a vet, I'd talk to them and discuss your plans and see if they work with any other rescue groups and if they can give you any advice. I'm not sure how things work in other countries, but here in the U.S., we have the option of being licensed by the Dept of Agriculture which gives more credibility to the groups and the choice of becoming a non profit. I'd also suggest working up a network of people who would consider fostering and helping with cage cleaning, fund raising, etc. I'd say, go for it, but take it slowly and really think it through.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What do people living in NZ think about this? And would anyone in NZ help out with creating a guinea pig rescue or small animal rescue in NZ?

minto1980

Cavy Slave
Hi. I also dont think there are any shelters for smaller animals in NZ. I think It would be a good idea. You will need to have a good look into it first and do your research correctly. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it. You will get alot of support. I would be more than happy to donate.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.