Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Cracked tooth

pendragonbooks

Cavy Slave
I was cleaning my pigs feet today and happened to look in his mouth. His top right front tooth had a crack in it. A little section off to the side had become separated from the rest of the tooth. I also noticed that that tooth was a different color than the others. It was almost a white/yellow color. I am thinking that that tooth might fall off. I know it will grow back, but I am wondering why it cracked.
Has anyone else had a pig with a cracked tooth?
I am feeding them veges twice a day (romaine, carrots, tomatoes, squash, yellow bell pepper, celery some days, and very rarely apple). I know he is getting enough Vit C. I am feeding him pellets with Vit C in it. I also feed him unlimited timothy hay.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Sometimes things happen with no known reasons. He could have hit the tooth on something for all we know. Pigs break teeth even on great diets. If it falls out, just make sure he can still eat well and it will grow back.

Poelitstudent

Cavy Slave
This is very interesting their teeth grow back? Even when they are already adults?

juliaaa

Cavy Slave
Yes, they grow back. Guinea pig teeth grow continuously, that's why they have to have a proper diet to wear them down.

Poelitstudent

Cavy Slave
Yes thats right that is why they need the hay sorry I think I already knew that silly me Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.