Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Cow Licks

Pig.Piggie

Cavy Slave
Are the crazy hair pigs a certian breed? I think they are as cute as a button but how did they develop a bundle cow licks. Are there any different methods of grooming for them?

Thanks.

A&A's_Mommy

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure they are called Abyssinian guinea pigs. I have one and we groom him the same way as any other piggy. The hair goes into those cow licks naturally so you don't need to brush them a certain way or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I'm pretty sure what your talking about is an abbyissian breed. (not sure if it's spelled right)

Rodneysmom

Cavy Slave
They are called Abyssinian. When I had my abby I used a tooth brush to brush him and just brushed the way the hair went. I dont know if that is the best way to brush them but it worked for me.

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
They are called Abyssinian. When I had my abby I used a tooth brush to brush him and just brushed the way the hair went. I dont know if that is the best way to brush them but it worked for me.

Thanks! Haha, I knew I butchered the name.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
How DO you brush an absinnyun pig?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
How DO you brush an absinnyun pig?
Very carefully. They don't like it when you brush or pet against the way their hair grows. Unless it's a abyruvian (Abyssinian/peruvian mix) you really don't need to brush at all but if you do, go with the way the hair whorls.

NICOLA2

Cavy Slave
I have an Abyssinian Guinea and she HATES being brushed!!! she jumps around like a looney when i try to brush her!! although when my partner brushes her she stays still for longer! but when i try she gets the hump with me!! she has a cows lick aswell, which is really cute but im thinking about trimming it as its getting quite long and i think it annoys her as she flicks her head to move it out of her face! its so cute though!

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Gizzy has cowlick on her forehead and on her back under the long hair. I have gone the extreme and cut the one on her forehead short cause she kept chewing it and shaking her head to get it out of her way and it just grows back with a vengeance! she has a couple Under her long hair on the back part of her body so I have to lift the hair and then brush in the right direction with is not as easy as it might sound then I have to brush the hair in my hand and lay it over the swirls as I call them.

This is when I had it shortish:

When she was still a baby:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.