Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Could my babies have mites?

BeNotNobody

Cavy Slave
Disclaimer: I have made an appointment for a good, cavy savvy vet. Both babies are going to get checked out and treated, if necessary. Also, both pigs are eating, drinking, wheeking, playing, etc. If they looked poorly, I'd take them to the emergency room ASAP.

That said, one of my boars, Jackson, has two or three bumps on his skin that hurt him when they're touched. I can pet his fur fine but when if I accidentally run my fingers right over the affected skin, he squeaks (poor thing!). One of them is looking less like a bump and more like an abscess.

What do you guys think this is?

IMG_0400.jpgIMG_0421.jpgIMG_0407.jpg

My first thought was mites. I only adopted the brothers a week or so ago so I guess they came with them. I haven't noticed anything on Pollock but I'll check again tonight before floor time.

Thank you for any help!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
To me it looks like a bite wound that's healing - and in that location it could be from the pig himself (which would indicate mites) or that the other pig caused. I can't tell for certain, but it looks to me like his fur in in good shape and don't see any dandruff/scurfing in the fur. Definitely get a vet's opinion on it but for now I think they are fine.

BeNotNobody

Cavy Slave
Thank you, Paula! I'm going to take them to the vet anyway so I have an idea of how they're doing and a starting point for their health. But I'm glad you think Jackson's fur is okay. He was popcorning today so I think he's a happy little fellow. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.