Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Corneal Ulcer from hay poke or scratching

Isaak_92

Cavy Slave
I noticed the other day that my GP looked like he had a swollen eye(wetter than usual and red ring around the eyelids, so I booked an appointment at the exotic vet.
Overnight it developed into a very swollen eye that was cloudy and white dot in the middle, half closed and weeping.

The Vet assessed his eye with dye and said their was no hay present which was good but the white dot was a corneal ulcer and prescribed us antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and antibiotic eyedrops (ocuflox).

It has been 4 days since the injury and there has been some change but not much of late. My question is how long does it typically take to heal and does it look like he will lose his eye if he doesnt?( refer to photos- Day one and day 4)
1d6cdfc22cff7d735ae4bd59bd191e87.jpg
00f18701ab9e9de9945e2f07381b6903.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It can take several day for an eye injury to clear up if it's going to. Some do, some don't.

Unless there's infection in or under the eye, he likely won't lose it. But even if he does, pigs tend to do very well with only one eye.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.