Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Corneal Dystrophy and a blocked duct

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Spuds has been having the problem with the duct in his right eye blocking again and I noticed the other night the discharge was pink instead of clear. I took him into the vet tonight for that issue and as the vet was looking into his eye, she said he has corneal dystrophy and a possible strain of clyhmidia as well and she gave me Baytrill for it.

As far as the duct blocking, do some pigs just have sensitive ducts? She felt his cheeks and mouth and looked at his teeth; she said she didn't think it was dental issues causing this. When this flares up can I keep using the gel she gave me? It has a steroid in it and it helps some, it just doesn't usually last for very long.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Some pigs do have blocked tear ducts. I have one pig in the rescue who has a chronically weeping eye. We use a steroid eye drop with him, but it is only temporary.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is there ever a season or a time when it's better?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
There doesn't seem to be any pattern.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.