Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Convincing Parents..

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Well, since all the mice I have been fostering have found homes, they will be going to within the next couple of weeks. My mom has decided she will allow me to get a small pet,(small as in smaller than a cat or dog) since I am going to stop fostering for a few months..or longer. She assumed that I would be rescuing another hamster or a rabbit, but I have decided that I would like to adopt two guinea pig girls from our local shelter. She isnt too happy about the idea, since she thinks that they are no fun to watch or play with.. etc.. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem with their parents/husband/wife/etc? I know that pigs can be great fun.. but I am not doing too good a job convincing my mom of that. I already found stores to buy coroplast and cubes for a cage, and have drawn out the cage I am going to build. I have also made a list of supplies that I will need to buy before I bring the girls home. (sometime after I give the mice to their new homes) So I just need some things to tell my mom to get her more open to the idea of pigs.. maybe some cute stories to tell her.. or some cute pigtures.. I dont know.. how does everyone get their friends and family who are not as "pig friendly" to open up and see the cuteness that is guinea pigs? Thanks! -Allie

Any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks!

I know I have read a lot of posts from people who have had parents tell them they had to keep them in their room, only to find them actually finding their whole family IN there room when they come home watching the pigs!

Pigs are great fun, it is true the average pig in a small petstore cage is not very much fun. They can be timid, skittish, and just plain lazy. However, in a bigger cage, they become very curious and active. They will play with toys, they beg for veggies, their "wheeking" is just the cutest thing. I think I enjoy the lap time the most, with them sitting on a pillow or in a cuddle cup on my lap, giving little licks and contented sounds while I pet them and cuddle.

Maybe you could make a compromise with her, how about fostering a pair of pigs? Then if it does not work out, you find them a good home, or, once she sees how much you enjoy them (and probably herself) then you can be the "adoptive family?"

Last edited:
If you think about it a hamster isnt that much fun because it is nocturnal. Rabbits arent that bad but are fragile and you cant really sit and cuddle with a bunny. Guinea pigs are great. If you are looking for funny stories or pictures then ask just about anyone. Everyone has a funny story to tell Im sure. Guinea pigs make all kinds of noises that crack me up sometimes. I think this would be one of the best sites to help you convince your mom along wih guinealynx. Hope that helped a bit.

Okay. First of all, i've had this fight with my parents too! Except we came to a comprimise, as long as i got really good grades on my next report card, i could get one. And i did. But now i really want to adopt another one, since i am finally get her out of the petstore cage soon (monday-ish ^_^), and i Know she would be better with a friend, because right now, i can't even hold her, she "enjoys" clawing my hands and wrists when she knows i'm taking her back upstairs to her cage. and when i get up there, i've tried stopping right before i let her go, to kind of give the "if you stop that, you'll get to go back in" tactic, but it never worked, and when i try to pick her up, she whips her head around and i'm afraid shes going to bite me, and she just frustrates me so much. Mainly because she won't eat things she needs. She only eats the pellets, hay, lettuce, and baby carrots currently. so i have to put the drops on her food until i find something she likes. But i think when i finally get the C & C cage done, she will be much happier, since last time i cleaned her cage, i put a whole bunch of old towels down on the floor in the new cage shell, and put her pipes and stuff in there, and she was squeeking for once!(other then when she hears a crackling bag, which is the sound of the hay bag) <(^_^)> The whole thing is though, i'm afraid to ask my dad, because i'm pretty sure he would say it is stupid, and i don't need anything else. (I have a guinea pig and hamster ((WHICH IS FUN BY THE WAY! espically when shes in her ball, its so cute!)), we have a dog and some fish, too) I could try and show him all the sites and stuff that say you should try to get a pair together, because they are natural herd animals, but i doubt he would even care. There is a guinea pig though i liked on pet finder, but its a little while away, i think my mom would go though, but i would have to convice my dad.

Wow. this has made me feel much better. Ha ha. I hope you get some!

Thanks everyone for your replies! I do believe that my mother and I have come to a semi-agreement. Since I am homeschooled and have to work through the summer as well as the school year (not because I get bad grades.. I am actually getting all A's..lol) She decided that when I finish English and Physics (the only two classes I have left until the grade would be completed) and when the mice go to their new homes then she will take me to the shelter. To me this is pretty great.. I have my Physics teacher coming out on monday.. I am going to ask her to give me ALL of the rest of the work. Maybe about 5-6 chapters left. As for English, I just have to finish up answering the questions for Romeo and Juilet. Hopefully I will be finished sometime at the beginning of July.

That's great news and quite the compromise! Seems pretty fair to me over all actually. Make sure we get pigtures when you bring your babies home from the shelter. I KNOW you can do it!

If she's already given you permission, I'm sure she will come around the second you bring them home!

My mom tends to grumble about them once in a while, but then when family or friends of hers come over and ask about them, she doesn't shut up about all the things they do!

lol... nonamian_girl, thats what my mom does when someone comes over. She doesnt stop talking about how cute the mice that I am fostering are.

If it makes you guys feel any better, my mom's moaning at me because I want to get a dog and I don't even live at home. I'm a mom with three kids, 6 pigs and a hubby who grumbles every once in awhile too. Just keep your promise and things should go well for ya. Good luck.

JennG said:
If it makes you guys feel any better, my mom's moaning at me because I want to get a dog and I don't even live at home. I'm a mom with three kids, 6 pigs and a hubby who grumbles every once in awhile too. Just keep your promise and things should go well for ya. Good luck.

Wait, you want to get a dog at your mom's house? Or is your mom moaning at you for wanting to get a dog at your house?

Wickedrodent it sounds like you worked out a pretty awesome deal. While your working on all that homework, don't forget to read around the site and research on piggy care so that you're ready when you adopt two piggies. Building C&C cages are fun. If you come across any questions feel free to post them.

I am so excited about getting them.. It looks as though I might get about the time I mentioned before (begginning of July). I have only a few more worksheets to do in English. (I asked the teacher who came today to give me everything that I had to do for the rest of the semester.) In Physics I have finished everything I have to do for this week, and when the teacher comes on wed. I will ask her to give me everything for the rest of semester as well! Other good news is that my uncle (who has been living with us for sometime) has found his own place to live, and will be moving out this Sunday. Since we have a three bedroom, (my mom in one, me in one, and my uncle was in one) we will now be able to convert his bedroom into an animal room! Thats good news for my hamster, (Secret) she didn't like the dogs looking at her. Also, we went to the pet store (don't worry, its a small family owned store that rescues small animals and kittens from local shelters and adopts them out. That is where we buy everything from.. I refuse to buy anything from petsmart and petco.) and we saw the guinea pigs that they had (they usually dont have piggies.. so I was surprised.) and so, my mom got to see them, and she actually was talking to them.. and petting them..:eek: I do have a question though.. where does everyone buy their cubes to make c&c cages? I have looked at target, walmart, hobby lobby.. and haven't found anything! Although, we did find really cheap fleece at hobby lobby.. for $3 per yard (31in X 36in)

Last edited:
Sometimes cubes are seasonal items. Just ask a clerk.

I'm glad you are getting some piggies!!

I'm married now so when I want a piggy, I just go rescue one and bring him home without my husband knowing...LOL He looks in the cage and says " Is it just my eyes or your pigs multipying?" Luckily I have a very understanding hubby.

Becky

Do a search on Google video or youtube of guinea pigs or guinea pig or cavy and im sure you will find a ton of cute videos to show your mom =D

Hm.. I just got off the phone with target.. I asked them if they would be getting any in the store. (they have them on the website) They said that when school supplies start coming back in, then they will most likely start carring them again.. I also called linens and things.. and they said that they carry them, which is really great.. it is walking distance from my house. Also, my other uncle works at a sign shop, I am going to call him later and see if they sell coroplast...

Bed Bath and Beyond carries them all the time.

thanks suzilovespiggie! When I go to my g-parents this weekend I will look there! The only one close is by their house. (about an hour away)

Also, my other uncle works at a sign shop, I am going to call him later and see if they sell coroplast...

Usually sign stores don't sell it, they don't want to be supplying the competition! However I can't see them not working something out with him if they know what it is for! Is it possible that he may be able to give you a sign "blooper" or some large scraps? A lot of people have had good luck with that too! considering you have a relative as an in, something should be workable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.