Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Confused about some Veggies.

Okay, some of these veggies I have never heard of LOL and What is sludgy urine?

I know, right?;) I hadn't heard of many either until I saw a suggested feeding/nutrition chart on one of the posts here. I had to get educated by the produce guy at the market I go to! I swear, sometimes I think pigs eat better than me and the family, and we eat pretty healthy IMHO!

Green or red leaf is top green leaf on my list ;).

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Honestly, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, ..there are so many different opinions on what to feed, what not to feed, and how often, that it's really confusing to a new piggy parent (like me!).. The vet told me to "make sure that he gets lots of greens like kale" but that's not recommended (for obvious reasons) on here.. It's really giving me a lot of anxiety in the veggie section of the grocery store. And how can you tell if their pee is gritty if you're using fleece?? :confused:

Honestly, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, ..there are so many different opinions on what to feed, what not to feed, and how often, that it's really confusing to a new piggy parent (like me!).. The vet told me to "make sure that he gets lots of greens like kale" but that's not recommended (for obvious reasons) on here.. It's really giving me a lot of anxiety in the veggie section of the grocery store. And how can you tell if their pee is gritty if you're using fleece?? :confused:

As gross as it may sound, you'll have to feel it.
I don't think you'll need to worry about it if there aren't any white spots around the cage though. (If you're using a light colored fleece you might not be able to see them, if your piggies are leaving any at all that is.)
Some people say that as long as the calcium spots (if that's what you're referring to) are chalky then its fine and that if it's gritty it's bad (supposedly the grittier it is the farther along the stone formation is), but I and some others think that any calcium deposits are bad. I actually recently had to switch my piggy to a pellet-less diet to get rid of his calcium deposits.
Sometimes you'll have a pig that's more prone to getting stones though, and they might have calcium deposits no matter what.

Honestly I felt the same way when I first got pigs. I trusted this site and just kind of went with it and figured it out on my own. I quickly learned what my pigs love and don't care for and just rotate through everything.

Dark coloured fleece is the best for seeing gritty pee. It shows up as a white/grey spot on the fleece. I've noticed one of my guys gets gritty pee after eatting romaine so I stick with red leaf now. Romaine isn't any higher in calcium but for some reason it seems to get the sludge moving! :)

Here is the veggie chart incase anyone was wondering. And remember 1 pig gets 1 cup of veg per day :) https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

If you ever need a reminder one what is high in what, you can always download the app GuineaPedia, which tells you what is good for piggies, whats bad, and what they are high / low in, and what can happen if they get too much ( EX: bloating, smelly urine etc). Its wonderful when you find something on sale but aren't sure if it is good for them!

If you ever need a reminder one what is high in what, you can always download the app GuineaPedia, which tells you what is good for piggies, whats bad, and what they are high / low in, and what can happen if they get too much ( EX: bloating, smelly urine etc). Its wonderful when you find something on sale but aren't sure if it is good for them!

If only they had it for Android! :(

I have the app, but it tells me kale is okay daily. I guess I just need to see what he likes the most and how his little body handles what I give him.

I usually buy a spring mix (without spinach) or sometimes a mix of butter lettuces and add peppers. Anything else is occasional and a treat. My pigs have been depositing some white spots, so we've been reducing calcium.

If your piggies aren't having that problem, your options are broader. I'd stick with a main dish they get every day (like spring mix) and peppers. Then rotate through small amounts of other things on different days.

I have an Android phone so can't see the app, but if it tells you kale is ok to feed every day, I'm not so sure I'd trust the rest of what it says.

It actually says Its a good source of vitamoin C, a good source of Calcium, and a Very good veggie for your piggies. It doesn't say feed daily. I think you have to use common sense, because too much of anything is a bad thing ( AKA, too much Calcium).

It actually says Its a good source of vitamoin C, a good source of Calcium, and a Very good veggie for your piggies. It doesn't say feed daily. I think you have to use common sense, because too much of anything is a bad thing ( AKA, too much Calcium).

Correct it does say that. But for a new piggie owner like myself I don't no how much is too much. Like some say on here, every day is okay when they are young, but what for calcium in their pee. you get mixed messages and thats when it becomes confusing. Some say you can give it every other day (kale that is) etc... so this is where I get confused. But I think I am going to buy green or red lettuce and make that the main source of vitamin C with kale and parsley every other day. Thanks for all the help !

Correct it does say that. But for a new piggie owner like myself I don't no how much is too much. Like some say on here, every day is okay when they are young, but what for calcium in their pee. you get mixed messages and thats when it becomes confusing. Some say you can give it every other day (kale that is) etc... so this is where I get confused. But I think I am going to buy green or red lettuce and make that the main source of vitamin C with kale and parsley every other day. Thanks for all the help !

In my opinion the main source of Vit C should be from Green bell pepper. They will be getting much more Vit C from Green bell pepper than they would from red/green leaf lettuce. Of course still keep the lettuce in their diet, just add green bell pepper. :)

In my opinion the main source of Vit C should be from Green bell pepper. They will be getting much more Vit C from Green bell pepper than they would from red/green leaf lettuce. Of course still keep the lettuce in their diet, just add green bell pepper. :)

I agree with this...just wish my one piggy would eat peppers. Maybe he'll eat a green one, but the store didn't have any good ones the other day. My female piggy gets yellow peppers though.

I agree with this...just wish my one piggy would eat peppers. Maybe he'll eat a green one, but the store didn't have any good ones the other day. My female piggy gets yellow peppers though.

What works for most people in getting their piggies to try GBP is to finely dice it up and put it on top of their pellets. Hopefully that helps. :)

I have a suggestion for people that can not or do not want that app for various reasons. I have a file version of the nutrition guide saved onto my phone, that way I can just easily open it up at the store, and see what is on the list, what isnt, and what foods I should try or how often I should feed them. It makes me feel much more confident in my veggie purchasing prowess.

What works for most people in getting their piggies to try GBP is to finely dice it up and put it on top of their pellets. Hopefully that helps. :)

Hmm, I'll have to try that. I didn't get him when he was baby so he's a bit of a food snob. Barely touched a strawberry when I decided to treat them. =0

@NM_MOM - It's too easy to over-think the veggie thing. Don't make yourself crazy over it. Yeah, I am sure they appreciate the effort and the variety, but it doesn't have to stress us human folk out. If you give lettuce as your basic and then just feel free to give little bits of other stuff along with it, you'll be fine. If you limit the others, whether they are carrot or tomato or kale or parsley, there is no over abundance on any one thing, and life is simple and good. :)

Mine have two staple veggies: lot of red leaf lettuce and bell peppers. Then they get a bit of whatever else I have here for the family, which is often what is on sale or in season or looks good.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.