Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Companion for baby boar?

2steps

Companion for baby boar?

Hi

I`d like some advise on getting a friend for my boar. He is 9 weeks old. I`ve had him since he was 3 weeks but waited to get another as he had mites. I wanted to know if I would be best getting a another young boar or an older one? If older, should he be a little or much older? I`m sure it properly depends on the individual pigs concerned but I`ve read lots of different views on this and want to try and find out what generally works best.
Thanks

Claire

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Companion for baby boar?

Hi Claire! Yes, it depends on the boar. Most boars fight, but not all of them. I think you can try to put an older boar with a younger one and see if they fight or not. If they do, just seperate them. Good luck. :D

A

Angelicum

Boars dont really fight

You may sometimes see Boars fighting, but not really most of the times, wether they grew together or not they are most likely not fight, sometimes Mounting will be seen as a sign of dominance.
You can really put either older or younger once, fighting is on a very little scale. Males of all animals are territorial but Guinea Pigs has a little sense of it.
One of my friend, Tracy has more than 45 of them and she told me that she rarely as in very rarely that boars and boars fight. She also says that boar-to-boar are even LESS FIGHTING than sow-to-sow. [BOAR=male SOW=female]
When a younger once are added it is of no problem, if an older one is a added there will also be no problem but a younger addition is better. It still depends on theindividual Cavies on the end.

"NOT MOST OF THE BOARS FIGHT" (this is an old wives tale)

<a href="https://www.theministryofmagic.org.uk" target="_new">[/b]The Ministry Of Magic</a>

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Boars dont really fight

Angelicum, where did your other name go too? :p

Actually, like I said, it does depend on the boar. I don't think it's true to say that most boar's do not fight. I've had several boars to dislike each other so much, that they tried to fight each other in seperate cages pushed beside each other. In fact, Guinea Pig boar's are very agressive, but not all of them. And even if you have boar's that don't fight, there will still be small fights to occur, as there will be with sows.

:D

Attachments

100_1169.jpg
A

AngelicumCavy

Its TRUE

SCL I forgot to have that Cavy after my name but am surprised that in the past I've signed up for the name and with the same password!

YES we must really exclaim that it depends on the individual boar, but its TRUE as in TRUE that in the average boar-boar are less fighting than sow-sow.
My friend TRACY has fourty-five of them, for about since 1993, they change home, they change cages, routines, and all meaning she got up almost all possible environments for the cavues, BUT her observation sticks that boars are not that likely to fight.
As to what i can also remember in a book by Peter Gurney, its also stated. Though peter have got a bad-rap on the reference page.

R

roozy

so true

AngelicumCavy, reminds me of humans, eh???

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: so true

I've had quite a few guinea pigs in my life, and I've had more boars to fight than sows. I hardly ever see any of the sows even nip at each other, much less fight. :mad:

M

maryjoalaska

I am ery interested in this discussion because I have two boars, and they got along fine. I recently lost one to an upper respitory infection, and the other one seems lonely. I am deciding whether to get him neutered (He's about a year old) and get a sow to be with him. I don't want babies. Or get a boar and see how they do.

I was thinking of putting wire divider in the cage so they get used to each other's scent if I get another boar. The cage my current one is in would work for this sort of thing.

Idea's anyone??

-MJ

Attachments

Piggles!.jpg
B

Briana D

MJ - the decision to get your boar neutered is really one you have to make. I've gotten two boars neutered and there was never any problems but I also have a very cavy knowledgeable vet performing the operation. If I were you I would adopt another boar. I've read that if you get a younger one then the chances of them getting a long is great.
When you introduce them you will want it to be a neutral ground. Somewhere where your first boar has never been and hasn't claimed as his own. Also when caging two boars together the key for a good introduction is ample room. A 2x4 cubes and coroplast (www.guineapigcages.com) cage works great. You'll want to make sure you have two of everything. Two water bottles, two food dishes, and two hidey homes.
I have housed pairs of boars together and I've never had any problems. I think it is unfair to make a blanket statement and say that all boars fight. I believe Cavy Spirit who has paired many males up says that she's had more trouble with pairing up sows then boars.

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave

:mad: Then I must be doing something wrong. I have only had 2 boars out of about 30 to never fight before. I have 27 sows, and hardly see any fights.

:mad:

Attachments

382855_335307416494772_100000465497074_1386584_1445425991_n.jpg 292674_418593284832851_100000465497074_1638972_1224068429_n.jpg
L

lyliecarter

Breeding boars always fight. They see other males as competition and want them out of the way so they get first dibs on the ladies. Sometimes just SMELLING females will start males fighting.

I introduced a 5 week old baby boar with the 9 month old I already had. It's been a year now and I haven't seen any fighting, or evidence of fighting AT ALL. I also know of many other people who have boars living together that get along great.

As long as you have a large cage, couple of extra food/water dishes, having two boars is great!

Susan

A

AngelicumCavy

a

all i can say supercavylover is that you guinea pigs are unique and suoerb!

2steps

Re: :)

I got another boar (12 weeks) and introduced him to piggie with no real problems at all. Piggie rumblestrutted a bit and try to mount him once or twice but nothing more since. I named him Cookie (you can see him on my site (broken link removed)

F

fcarr

Boars and fighting

I have two boars, one is about 7 months, the other is 3 years. They were 'introduced' when the younger was about two months old. They get along very well...but I recently starting fostering (through the SPCA) a young female. I keep her in a seperate cavy cage, but have noticed that if the 'wind is in the right direction' the two boars react to her scent... and usually end up in mini scuffs between themselves for no apparent reason. The elder had a mouthful of the other's fur the other day. I therefore have to keep the female in a seperate room. Since doing so, both the boars have returned to their previous, friendly behaviour.

For me, introducing an older guinea to a much younger one (where each knows the 'pecking' order) seems to work well. ) There are occasional displays of dominance, but nothing serious.

B

bebegrl7

get another boar?

ok about 3 weeks ago i got a baby boar and he has been doing pretty good but seems to be a lil lonely and i want to get another piggy...but i dont want to have babys and i dont have the money to get him neutered . I have heard that boars sometimes fight with eachother.:( ....should i get another one? should it be young or old? HELP! I have never had a guinnea pig before so i dont know wut to do. :mad:

2steps

get another boar?

My baby boar was 9 weeks (piggie) and I got another who was 12 weeks (cookie) and put them together. I introduced them when I knew I was going to be home all day (just incase) but they got on just fine. Piggie rumblestrutted a bit and tried to mount cookie a few times but that's all. He never stopped him eating or tried to fight. I think alot depends on the personalitys of the boars. I was worried too, about getting a second boar but I didn't want to keep piggie alone untill I could have him neutered and was worried about the op anyway.
I asked quite a few people about this and was told it can work getting a younger or older boar, but seems different things work with different pigs

Attachments

120505_182858.jpg 120422_124909.jpg DSCN1890.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.