Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Chocolate's got a bad eye: can someone help me?

Rae Janye

Cavy Slave
My lovely little boy, Chocolate, has got a bad eye. He has been like this for a few days now, at first I thought he could have caught it on something, or maybe scratched it, but now I'm thinking not. His right eye is perfectly fine, nothing wrong with it at all. His left, however, is a different story. So it's kind of swollen, it's not closed and he can still see out of it, but it's kind of puffy, his fur has fallen out in a small patch and there are tiny little scratches and scabs on the patch. Does anyone know what it might be? And how I can treat it?

Attachments

image.jpg
It could be a fungus, but anything that close to an eye needs to be seen by a vet. There are plenty of anti-fungal medications available over the counter for fungus on other parts of the body, but they're not usually safe to be used in eyes. He'll need a prescription med, I think.

Has he been scratching at it? Look him over, are there any signs of bugs?

I have checked him over and he doesn't have any other marks on him, his coat is soft and perfect. There doesn't seem to have any fleas or any other little unwelcome visitors. I haven't seen him scratching and it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. He does run around the cage a lot but I think that is because he is still young and alone at the moment. I want to take him to the vets about it but I don't know where any is in the Wolverhampton area, I have done a google search but found nothing. Do you know of any good ones? And also, where can I buy some of the cream? Thank you for the help.

There are plenty of anti-fungal medications available over the counter for fungus on other parts of the body, but they're not usually safe to be used in eyes.

Don't buy OTC creams to use that close to his eye. You may possibly cause far worse problems than you've already got. You need an ophthalmic ointment, and they usually require a prescription.

As for vets, you can search at www.guineapigzone.com, and there's a list at www.guinealynx.info. You might also contact the Cambridge Cavy Trust. They might be able to suggest something based on your picture. I believe membership is required, but most people seem to think they get way more than their money's worth from joining.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.