Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Veggies Celery

Kttvix

Cavy Slave
Any thought as to why my guinea pig that use to love celery and will eat pretty much all that is given will suddenly nowadays (for the last half year or more) only eat certain parts of a celery stick or certain celery at certain stores?

My hunch is that the taste and smell differs, being too potent repels the pig, but I have no idea how to tell. It's just become a major pain to deal with because now when I see some on sale and buy it, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll eat it. So now when I bring it home, I have to test it. And I don't eat celery myself, I hate the taste so if he doesn't eat it, then it goes into the compost and my money along with it.

I also notice some celery are more green than others, maybe that's a sign?

Any thoughts on the matter?

Mine like cucumbers one day then hate them the next. Same with celery. I am not sure why. I think they just prefer things like carrots, peppers, and parsley, and snub certain foods.

Mine like cucumbers one day then hate them the next. Same with celery. I am not sure why. I think they just prefer things like carrots, peppers, and parsley, and snub certain foods.

Well yeah but what I'm saying is that my guinea pig seems to smell something 'odd' about certain celery pieces. At some point I thought it might be something sprayed on the celery that repels him so I gave it a good wash and maybe sometimes makes a difference but not sure.

Like one piece he'll avoid like the plague. Sometimes he'll bite into it and run off, I can't exactly feed my family with a slightly chewed celery stick. And then I toss in another piece, sometimes from the same head of celery, and he'll eat it. He seems to prefer the lighter colored inner stalks. In other words WHAT A PAIN! Pork chops tonight!

My guinea pig doesn't like bananas, but he likes banana peels :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.