Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Cat Litter For Guinea Pig Litter Box?

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I am currently doing research on guinea pigs to further persuade my parents to let me get one next year. I was wondering if I could use natural clay cat litter for a guinea pig's litter box? I know there are other types of litter, like wood pellets, specifically made for guinea pigs, but I was wondering if I could save a couple bucks.

Also, is milk carton plastic (as long as it's washed and dried thoroughly beforehand) safe for guinea pigs to chew on? I was thinking of making a hidey hole, toy, etc. for my currently imaginary guinea pig.

Thanks!

Rsgymjam- the person striving to rescue a piggie.:love::eek:

lissie

Cavy Slave
Hi Rsgymjam,

Welcome to GPC! Glad you are striving to rescue a pig.

Clay cat litter is not safe for guinea pigs. The cheapest safe litter would be wood pellets. I always buy them at local hardware store for $6.50 for a 40 lbs bag.

The milk carton might not be safe if they can break the plastic off and eat it.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Alright thank you! Also, does anyone have any ideas on how to introduce 1-2 year old cats to a guinea pig?

I was thinking this:
1. Put droppings of GP in kitty's litter for 2 weeks to get kitties used to smell.
2. Let kitties near cage but not staring piggies down.
3. Hold kitty (one at a time) near piggie to test behavior. (hissing, clawing, pawing, wheeking, skittishness, etc.)
4. If all signs are good, gradually let kitty go, following behind and closely monitoring entire time.
5. Eventually be able to let kitties in my room with covered C&C cage :) and let the guinea pig be by him.
6. Also eventually have them be with monitored playtime, one kitty at a time, and NEVER left alone together.

How does this sound?

-Rsgymjam- striving to have my cat(s) not eat my future piggie

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.