Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Care fresh VS. Kiln Dried pine shavings VS. Aspen VS. Kaytee Clean and Cozy

Bella13

Cavy Slave
So I have two female guinea pigs, one is a Peruvian and the other is a short haired. I've used fleece for a while now and thinking about switching to bedding for a little bit to try it out. I'm not sure which kind of bedding is the best/safest for my piggies. I've used the brown care fresh in the past and wasn't very pleased.
I've researched each bedding and every website says different! Any answers/ tips are greatly appreciated! :)

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
I've never used wooden shavings, but I found that CareFRESH has much better odor control than Kaytee C&C. I've read good reviews on aspen's odor control, especially when mixed with another paper-based bedding. :)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I use aspen in my boys kitchen you can probably find some shavings with odor control. I really liked using yesterday's news cat littwe paper pellets. But if you want it for the whole cage I would just try a few till you find the one you like.

Bella13

Cavy Slave
I would like to use the bedding for the entire cage. I have a 2x5 C&C cage.
Also, for people that have switched from fleece to bedding: Is there any odor difference? Or less maintenance from one to the other?
Thanks again!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Towels are what start to smell really bad. The uhauls stay fresh longer. With fleece depending on the size cage and how many pigs you have you could probably go 7 days. For my boys cage I only need to switch the fleece every 5-7 days. Plus with fleece you have to vacuum it at least twice a day.

Bella13

Cavy Slave

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I prefer fleece because it's reusable so it saves me money. The prepping is what drives me crazy. Some fleece takes longer to wick than others. But I would like to mention fleece is definitely not for everyone. After the prepping its pretty easy.

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
I use kiln-dried pine shavings. Feed stores have really big packs for much cheaper than most pet stores. One pack lasts me roughly a month. I have no experience with fleece bedding for guinea pigs so I can't really compare, but I already know that the amount of laundry that will need to be done will be too much for me, especially since my machines aren't great. I have a 2x6 C&C for 3 guineas and I've found that most of the poop gets "lost" in the bedding, and therefore the cage looks cleaner. As far as odor goes, I only smell hay and a little bit of the wood-esque scent. Floor time consists of fleece and towels and is smellier than their cage :p

Bella13

Cavy Slave
I decided to go with aspen bedding. Thanks for everyone's input!

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
Glad you made a choice but I just wanted to add for anyone to search this topic.

I was a huge fan of carefresh, the odor control is great. It is to pricy to do a whole cage with, I tried, so I switched to fleece I put carefresh in the kitchen.

Since then I have notice how much 'dust' the carefresh puts off. It even builds up in my floor fan super fast. When I scoop out parts and mixed it since the odor control will allowed you I do that several time I now noticed breathing in the dust.

I still think the odor control is unbeatable. After Christmas I bought the store out of their holiday colors for like 60% off so I continue to use it but I really want to switch to some type of pellet when it is gone.

I am giving loose fleece in the kitchen a test. It is not working very well, unless I completely change it every day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.