Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Can you help me determine the breed of my guinea pigs?

falling_moon

Cavy Slave
I have two male guinea pigs, who are named Ice and Griffin. Ice is solid white with pink eyes (PEW, I believe?). Griffin is red and white. I have been trying to determine their breeds for a while now, with Ice's being the one that mainly confuses me. I'm pretty sure that Griffin is an American, although he has a pointier nose than most Americans have. Ice has on rosette on top of his head with leads me to believe he's a self white crested, but he has longer fur, which confuses me. Maybe he's a mixed breed? And if so, what breeds?

Some extra information (not sure if it helps, but thought I'd give it anyways):
+ Both are rescues; not bought from pet stores
+ Griffin weighs 2 lbs 3 oz
+ Ice weighs 1 lbs 14 oz
+ Griffin is older than Ice, though we are unsure of his exact age (estimated to be around 5-ish)
+ Ice is 1 1/2 years old

If you need anything else like more pictures or info, let me know and I will gladly provide it! Thank you for helping me determine the breed of my guinea pigs!

Attachments

IMG_3371.jpg IMG_3370.jpg IMG_3369.jpg IMG_3368.jpg IMG_3367.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Almost all guinea pigs are mixed breeds of some sort.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Griffin is definitely an American. Ice is a little tougher, but I'm betting with the longer hair across his back he might have some silkie in there. They're both very cute pigs!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I have two male guinea pigs, who are named Ice and Griffin. Ice is solid white with pink eyes (PEW, I believe?). Griffin is red and white. I have been trying to determine their breeds for a while now, with Ice's being the one that mainly confuses me. I'm pretty sure that Griffin is an American, although he has a pointier nose than most Americans have. Ice has on rosette on top of his head with leads me to believe he's a self white crested, but he has longer fur, which confuses me. Maybe he's a mixed breed? And if so, what breeds?

Some extra information (not sure if it helps, but thought I'd give it anyways):
+ Both are rescues; not bought from pet stores
+ Griffin weighs 2 lbs 3 oz
+ Ice weighs 1 lbs 14 oz
+ Griffin is older than Ice, though we are unsure of his exact age (estimated to be around 5-ish)
+ Ice is 1 1/2 years old

If you need anything else like more pictures or info, let me know and I will gladly provide it! Thank you for helping me determine the breed of my guinea pigs!

Griffin looks so sweet, and Ice is gorgeous!!! I love their names :)
Ice is definitely a Coronet guinea pig!! If you google the breed you'll see many with his exact handsome looks ;) You're right; his colour is pink eyed white---and on top of that, his fur looks Satin to me! It could be the picture but I don't think so. His fur is very glossy and picks up the light more than Griffin's, doesn't it? If yes he has Satin fur :) He's a very unique piggie!
Griffin is American--- from what I've seen piggies can have different features from each other just like people. My Robin Hood has a narrower face compared to Friar Tuck; and they're both American (except Friar Tuck is an American Crested ). You're spot on with his colours again, red and white...and his pattern is a perfect Dutch! Piggies with a perfect Dutch pattern like him are fairly rare, so he's a unique piggie in his own right, too :)
I love studying all the different guinea pig breeds/colours/patterns---seeing Griffin and Ice was a treat!

falling_moon

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your response! It’s really helpful and I appreciate it. Okay, I feel a bit weird saying this and hope I phrase it right so I don’t sound rude. But there are a few things you got wrong about Ice and Griffin. And really, it’s kinda my fault. For one, Griffin isn’t a perfect Dutch. On his other side of his rear, the red band stops and is white. I just couldn’t post the other pictures of him since I could only post 5. Also, Ice isn’t a Satin. When I took the pictures, it was in the morning and the lighting wasn’t great, so I had to lighten them up myself. And that’s what made his fur look shinier. But thank you so much for telling me about Ice being a Coronet and confirming Griffin’s American-ness. I’m also glad that seeing my boys were a treat for you! :)

falling_moon

Cavy Slave
Oh, and I do have another question. If you have a longhaired breed of guinea pig, how long should their hair be by age 1 1/2? Ice’s hair isn't that long, like the pictures I see of longhair breeds, so that makes me think he could be a coronet American mix. And I’ve never cut his fur (I’ve only had him a week), and I don’t think his previous owners did either.What do you think? Also, sorry if I’m bothering you with my questions.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your response! It’s really helpful and I appreciate it. Okay, I feel a bit weird saying this and hope I phrase it right so I don’t sound rude. But there are a few things you got wrong about Ice and Griffin. And really, it’s kinda my fault. For one, Griffin isn’t a perfect Dutch. On his other side of his rear, the red band stops and is white. I just couldn’t post the other pictures of him since I could only post 5. Also, Ice isn’t a Satin. When I took the pictures, it was in the morning and the lighting wasn’t great, so I had to lighten them up myself. And that’s what made his fur look shinier. But thank you so much for telling me about Ice being a Coronet and confirming Griffin’s American-ness. I’m also glad that seeing my boys were a treat for you! :)

Don't worry, not rude at at all! " We see but we do not observe", lol ;) I can see now that Ice's shimmer is a trick of the light...and I should of thought of the fact I could only see Griffin's left side before declaring him a perfect Dutch :)
I'm so glad my response was helpful regardless!!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Oh, and I do have another question. If you have a longhaired breed of guinea pig, how long should their hair be by age 1 1/2? Ice’s hair isn't that long, like the pictures I see of longhair breeds, so that makes me think he could be a coronet American mix. And I’ve never cut his fur (I’ve only had him a week), and I don’t think his previous owners did either.What do you think? Also, sorry if I’m bothering you with my questions.

That's ok, it's wonderful when piggie owners care enough to ask questions! :) But this answer I don't really know... I've never had any breed of long haired guinea pig. Since you've only had him a week it's possible he has had a haircut at some point and it hasn't grown back out yet. And it's also possible he isn't pure bred Coronet. I do think by 1 1/2 his hair would be how it's going to be the rest of his life---my Friar Tuck changed in colour a little bit until about two months ago, and he's about 10 months old now :) Ice could be shedding right now too, and that could explain it. Also I have a feeling a lot of the google images of Coronets are show piggies extra fluffed and groomed for the photoshoot, lol!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
He is most likely an american/coronet mix. A long haired guinea pig would have extremely long hair by the time they are 1.5 years old if no one ever cut it. A true coronet, would clearly have longer fur by the time it was just a few months old.

By the time my long haired pigs reach 1.5 years old, they have already had several hair cuts to keep their fur well managed and looking good.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.