Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Can they have green leaf lettuce?

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
It was just labeled as generic green leaf lettuce and I'm not sure if thats ok on the list? Is it ok calcium wise? I cut out the nightly cilantro I was giving the boys cause they started excreeting calcium, no pain or anything but they were peeing it out and I don't want them to develope any stones. Also, baby carrots, are they ok daily? I give them 2-3 to share a day. How often can I give them watermelon rind? they love it!

I just want to make sure they're not getting too much calcium, their diet consists of lettuce red yellow and green bell pepper (1/4 each a day) 2-3 baby carrots a day, and cucumber/tomato interchangebly they get one or the other every day but never for 2 days in a row

is this diet ok for them? I also discovered they really love snap green beans so 1-2 times a week I'll give them a couple (one each) Thoughts on any of this is helpful :)

Mostly I'd like to know about the lettuce and the watermelon rind though cause I'd really like to give them the watermelon rind more often they go nuts for it!

I would cut back on the carrots they are high in calcium so maybe only twice a week. Red leaf and green leaf lettuce are okay on a daily basis. The watermelon I have no idea.

Mine love watermelon rind, too -- it's their favorite thing in the whole world. But it's got too much sugar to be fed very often or in very large chunks.

The rest of your diet is fine as far as calcium goes. They can have tomato every day, and more than one young green bean. My two split half of a roma tomato per day, and get 2-3 green beans each.

awesome guys ty so much for the tips :) I'll cut back on the carrots and give em more beans ^_^ They love tomatoes so they'll be happy to have em more!

Mine love watermelon rind, too -- it's their favorite thing in the whole world. But it's got too much sugar to be fed very often or in very large chunks.

The rest of your diet is fine as far as calcium goes. They can have tomato every day, and more than one young green bean. My two split half of a roma tomato per day, and get 2-3 green beans each.
oh and how often do you give the green beans?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.