Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Can guinea pigs have dandruff/dry skin?

• Thread starter Baubles&Bangles
  • Start date

Baubles&Bangles

Cavy Slave
I just bought a new piggy at the county fair, it was supposed to get super cold that nite and that weekend I didnt want to see her freezing in her cage for the weekend.

They had her in wood shavings that seemed really dusty, and she kinda grubby, surrounding the eye was kinda crusty. So I got her home rinsed her off a bit, dried her up good, clipped her long nail.

She is being quarantined from the rest of the crew.

I noticed that night her eye was red, and i wiped away some of the crustiness. Since then it has cleared up ( got her Saturday) so I guess it was irritated.

She makes this weird noise that my other 2 pigs dont, sorta like if you blow out of your noise hard & fast -sniffling. Only when shes moving fast, but quiet when she's still.

Took her to the vet today for a through check up.
- no upper respitory problems - she sounds good
- eyes have no issues
- everything is all and well

But I notice these white specks on her hair. She is black with brown american cavy but I think shes a satin very slick.

I have 2 Abyssinian so they're lighter colored fluff balls impossible to see the skin easily.

So i'm not sure if this is something normal - dandruff & dry skin.
Could it be her living conditions prior to me?

Now I dont see anything crawling but they are just on hair shaft on her neck. I have no idea how big lice is I know nothing about it - just the thought of it gives me the heebie jeebies. They took a comb to her hair I suppose it was a lice comb, and then they put it away suppose nothing was found.
They took tape her her rump to get the specks and put them under the microscope - that was negative.

But yet here I am still worried its lice or something.

Glad she got a clean bill of health, I paid a small fortune this morning.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I'm glad she's healthy overall. It could just be dry skin, but I would treat for mites/lice anyway. It won't hurt if she doesn't have them, and given her previous conditions, there's a good chance she does. You can treat yourself without another vet appointment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.