Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fruit Can guinea pigs eat wild strawberries?

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Can gpigs eat wild strawberries?
we have lots in out yard
we dont use any weed killers or pesticides on our lawn
also could they eat the stem too?
thxs everyone for this wonderful forum

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
plz any replies appreciated

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
People will reply as they see your posts -- no need to bump something within an hour of first asking the question. Especially when you're posting at most people's mealtime.

Yes, they can have occasional wild strawberries -- they're a once-a-week or so treat.

Chonkobadonko

Cavy Gazer
People will reply as they see your posts -- no need to bump something within an hour of first asking the question. Especially when you're posting at most people's mealtime.

Yes, they can have occasional wild strawberries -- they're a once-a-week or so treat.
Hello. Understood about the wild strawberry fruit being in moderation… but what about letting a particularly hungry guinea pig into a clean patch of mainly the wild strawberry greens? Thank you!

Chonkobadonko

Cavy Gazer
Also, these are mock strawberries. I suppose it is a nuanced plant family. Thanks again…

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I did a little googling, and it looks like wild strawberries and mock strawberries are different things. Take a look at these pictures and let us know which you're talking about: https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/mock-strawberry-plants/

They're both relatively high in sugar, so you'd definitely need to limit the fruit.

Also, if these are wild, you'd have to worry about animals urinating and defecating on them. In that case, it would definitely be better to pick the leaves and wash them thoroughly rather than letting the pigs out to forage on them.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
The other thing is, guinea pigs aren't like goats when you take them outdoors in an enclosed and safe pen. For the most part, they'll be freaked out from the change and want to just hide. Also, they don't like change and won't typically be adventurous in trying out new foods. So, the idea of turning them loose on your patch outdoors to eat them will likely be a wasted effort. I would pick some, wash them well, and see if they like them -- as a small fruit treat. Normally strawberries are a good fruit option as they are high Vit C (which pigs need like humans) and not as high in sugar as some other fruits, and they like the green tops on them. But given in moderation.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
"The other thing is, guinea pigs aren't like goats when you take them outdoors in an enclosed and safe pen. For the most part, they'll be freaked out from the change and want to just hide."
Oh, boy are you spot-on with this! We have a backyard that only sees an occasional squirrel, chipmunk, or groundhog. There are lots of dandelions in the Spring and my cavies have always loved dandelion greens.

So, one Spring I built them an enclosed "run" so they could forage on grass and dandelions. I put each of them at opposite ends of the run and they literally froze in place and wouldn't move! Not even when I sat beside the run would they budge. Only when I got into the run with them would they even have a taste of the bounty around them.

I keep threatening to build another for my current two boys, but just haven't had time for something that may not be productive.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
So, one Spring I built them an enclosed "run" so they could forage on grass and dandelions.
Now, you're making me laugh! It will take me a day or two, but I'll dig up a couple of photos I have of my occasional attempt. My version is what led to me creating this item for sale on our store.
https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/playcenter
Can guinea pigs eat wild strawberries?

Imagine covering the inner ring with some pet-screen material (that plastic stuff). :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.