Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions C-section for my piggie...

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
The both of you are fighters! Keep hanging in there. If you are not already doing it, mix a little critical care in with the baby food since she seems to like it. Plain canned pumpkin works too. I am keeping the both of you in my thoughts.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It's hard for anyone to be under anesthetic let alone a guinea pig. She should progress slowly, but don't worry it's been a stressful day for her.
Unless you have a clue as to what you are actually talking about, don't post on medical threads.

They have her on Metronidazole and Enro.
Metronidazole is Flagyl and Enro is Baytril. Both quite safe for piggies. Sending get well wishes for her. Please keep us updated on her progress.

twiztedlilfae

Cavy Slave
Around 8 this evening I started getting fluids, food, medication etc ready to give to Honey. She was moving around her cage very little I was able to pick her up. She was still fighting me on being held, but she felt so frail in my arms and kind of limp. I gave her fluids, all 20ccs and was able to give her metro to her. But she went cold and limp and left me and this world at around 8:15. I held her for awhile hoping that maybe I was wrong that maybe she wasn't breathing heavy because she was ok. But she was cold and her little eyes where just vacant. I know she's in a better place with lots and lots of hay and pellets and all the veggies should could ever want that I never got the chance to give her. She's with her two little babies that didn't make it and she's frolicking with them being the good mom I know she was meant to be. I just have one thing to say: I am so sorry Honey, you didn't have to die needlessly my little girl. I hope you know how much I love you and how I'll never forget you. I hope your death was not in vain and that maybe just maybe your story can help save another little piggies life. You where a good girl, a fighter and you will be sorely missed. I'll miss giving you kisses but I'll be sure to give your mother and sister extra kisses and let them know how much I love them too. I know you'll look out for them and that you may be gone but you're with us in spirit.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers, and warm thoughts. I'm just glad that she is no longer suffering and that I was able to hold her while she left. I got an extra day to tell her how much I loved her and I think she held on just long enough to let me know she knew (eating off my finger and licking it..eating some..)

I think the last time I've cried so hard was when I lost my kitty. Thanks everyone for being there and giving me advice and helping me out. I truly appreciate and I'm sure Honey did too.

vicky2

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. It was a long, hard, and stressful fight and at least you know you tried your hardest...
You right, she's in a better place, out of pain and living up to her Guinea Pig name!
I don't really know how to end this since I've never been to your situation but all I can say is feel better and know you loved her and she knew it and still knows it.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
It was a long, valiant battle. I'm so sorry for your loss. You (and she) did everything you could

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear the outcome to this. You fought harder for her than most people would even consider. Sounds like she'll be missed dearly.

RIP Honey

twiztedlilfae

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear the outcome to this. You fought harder for her than most people would even consider. Sounds like she'll be missed dearly.

RIP Honey

I don't take my responsibility to my pets lightly. They are my little furbabies and when I said I was going to take care of them I meant it. If I didn't fight for her what kind of person does that make me? I am in no way the kind of person who likes to see animals suffering. When I was our neighbors would bring over sick abandoned kittens that where ill. My mom would hand feed them and try and get them healthy. Most of the time they died, but that didn't stop her from trying again. All creatures deserve a chance to live and deserve the best in my eyes. I know that death and birth are both a part of the cycle. What gets me is that she could've lived if the vet had given her antibiotics after surgery. Or maybe it was just meant for her to go. I believe that everything happens for a reason. What the reason for losing her is I don't know. A test of strength, endurance, seeing how far I'm willing to go for any creature big or small? I don't know. I can tell you that it really really hurts to see such a small defenseless creature die. She was so young (not even a year old) and she had so much to look forward to (a new home, a loving mommy, etc)..

I feel so bad because I wasn't there for much of her short life (school kept me busy and I don't go home often).. I'm glad that I was able to give her the best in the end though. Thanks for all the kind words.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for you loss. I am sitting here crying for both you and her.

Aquena

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry. I too am crying for you. Again, my thoughts are with you and I am very sorry.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. Just know that you did everything you could to get her on the right track. May she now rest in peace, poor baby.

twiztedlilfae

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. Just know that you did everything you could to get her on the right track. May she now rest in peace, poor baby.

And yet I still feel like I could've done more and have all kinds of what if scenarios running through my head. What if I had her spayed? What if I had told the dr to give me antibiotics since I know i lived far away and wouldn't be able to bring her back if she went down? What if I hadn't be so stupid and think that just because she's eating a little on her own that she didn't need the continued hand-feedings, I figured she was getting better and able to handle herself. What if I had taken her to the emergency vet saturday when I felt something was wrong and my dad just looked at me like I was overreacting? Who do I blame? The vet? myself? noone? My parents blame the vet she went to for the c-section. I'm not so sure I want to blame anyone because noone can tell me for certain whether antbiotics would've saved her if I had given them from the beginning. It could've been something entirely different than what was originally thought. All I know is she's gone and there's nothing that can bring her back. I would like to have peace of mind that there was nothing I could've done but I don't think I will. I can only learn from my mistakes this time and pray that I never have to go through this again.

I'm sorry I just needed to vent a little. Atleast my parents have gotten clued into why you don't breed guinea pigs and they don't want to anymore. So there's one good thing from this. Thanks again everyone. it means a lot to me.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
It might help the grieving process to call the vet who did the c-section and explain what happened and to suggest she/he begin prescribing ABs after major surgery.

Knowing you could prevent this from happening to others may help you.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
You can't beat yourself up or at least that's what they tell me. Everytime I've lost a pig or rat for any reason I beat myself up and do the "what if's". Even if the vet had given the ABs after surgery, there's no guarantee that she would have lived. All things do happen for a reason. I know how bad you're hurting right now and wish I could be there to give you a great big hug.

diane

Cavy Slave
I was really hoping she would pull through to, she sounded like such a fighter, but she did know she was loved, and you were there to cuddle her till the end, that would be a comfort to know she wasn't alone, I think you did everything in your power possible, I know it will take awhile to get over this loss, sending warm thoughts and hugs your way.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Oh has it hurt to read the update of this thread. I am so very very sorry you lost your little girl. Know you really did all you could have done. You loved her, gave her the very best. Many wouldn't have cared at all. I am sorry you have to hurt so much. We are all hurting with you. Honey is in a better place.

twiztedlilfae

Cavy Slave
I just got off the phone with the first vet that did her c-section. He was telling me how giving antibiotics after routine c-sections/and even spaying/neutering is frowned upon because of all of the antibiotic resistant bacteria and that there was no initial signs of infections and that's why she wasn't sent home with any antibiotics. To me it still sounds odd. My mom is helping to handle the legal aspect of this for me. I'm still upset because of the way she went and how hard I tried to save her. It just makes no sense whatsoever. But she's with all the other guinea pigs who have passed on playing and having a good time.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
The doctor you mentioned is either attempting to cover his tracks or isn't very knowledgeable about guinea pigs. It is absolutely unreasonable that you weren't prescribed antibiotics after this procedure.

There is of course no guarantee that the pig would have survived after the surgery if she had been receiving antibiotics - it's a very traumatic surgery and sometimes their bodies just can't recover - but I do think the doctors that performed the surgery should have done more to ensure, to the best of their ability, that they'd taken all precautions possible to give her the best possible chance of recovery and survival.

Failing to provide follow-up antibiotics after a c-section is just negligent, in my opinion.

twiztedlilfae

Cavy Slave
The doctor you mentioned is either attempting to cover his tracks or isn't very knowledgeable about guinea pigs. It is absolutely unreasonable that you weren't prescribed antibiotics after this procedure.

There is of course no guarantee that the pig would have survived after the surgery if she had been receiving antibiotics - it's a very traumatic surgery and sometimes their bodies just can't recover - but I do think the doctors that performed the surgery should have done more to ensure, to the best of their ability, that they'd taken all precautions possible to give her the best possible chance of recovery and survival.

Failing to provide follow-up antibiotics after a c-section is just negligent, in my opinion.

I feel the same way Paula! I was given antibiotics after surgery for my ears, nose and throat, to help avoid infection. Especially since those areas are so prone to infection. You would think with it being a female guinea pig and knowing that there are certain good/bad bacteria that thrive in any mammals uterus is just plain outrageous. But even the last vet I seen when trying to save Honey said that antibiotics aren't usually given after c-sections unless there's a reason. So IDK. Maybe they've changed their opinions on this recently? All I know is that their are very few drs that deal with guinea pigs and none live close by.

Aquena

Cavy Slave
Twiztedlilfae, Again I am so sorry for your loss. But now I have a question that is related. I have a boar that will need to be neutered, and after hearing of this story, I called the Vet and asked if they send home antibiotics, and they said no, as long as I use towels/fleece for bedding there should not be a problem. Do I believe what they say?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.