Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Bumblefoot - Pododermatitis

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone,

I need some suggestions from my cavy expert blogger peers. I recently adopted another Guinea Pig and she is actually in better condition than others I have adopted in the past... However, she has pododermatitis :( She is two years old and had a very large litter of 7 in June (I am assuming her weight gain contribute to the condition).
I started with chlorhexidine soak every 24 hours as well as Epson salt soaks every 8 hours. I am applying BNP but not wrapping it as the scabs are not open. She is also on SMZ 1.0cc (she is a big girl). It's been a week now and I am keeping a close eye on her skin to ensure it won't get too dry from all the salt and chlorhexidine soaks. So far it doesn't look any wost but actually doesn't look much better either.
I don't have much experience with pododermatitis as all of my cavies live in enormous C&C with fleece+Uhaul bedding and no other abrasive material as flooring or accessory and my cages are cleaned every 5 days.
I need some extra suggestions. Unfortunately my vet seems to just be a mediator in between myself and a prescription pad. He always wants to know what I want to do or what I think it is best... I am not confident he really knows enough about GPs but he is my resource (best locally).
I have read that Baytril maybe the best way to proceed when it comes to bumblefoot treatment but now that she is on smz I am reluctant to switch.

Any suggestions? I will post pictures of her foot later.

THANK YOU!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I would continue with the Trimeth Sulfa. You may want to alternate the BNP with virgin coconut oil and see if that helps.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
Thanks I will try that! I'm getting worried as no progress is seen... Not worst... I just order some FM ointment that has some great reviews. I am interested in trying anything at this point

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.