Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Breeding

Blog entry from old forum

Clovers

Cavy Slave
Today, I posted a forum about breeding. I asked why it wasnt okay because if the breeder cares for the pigs properly people get healthy, good-mannered guinea pigs, its okay. My forum was closed because a Moderator told me that they had just covered this topic.

So I still wanted to know why breeding, even when you do everything right, was stilll wrong. I now understand that there are a lot of piggies out there and breeding is just contributing to the problem. I guess its just like dogs; people want puppies but there are lots of perfectly fine older ones that are being pout down at shelters. )':

It makes me really upset that tons of people just think about dogs and cats being that way ( as I did myself) when smaller animals have the same problem. So I have decided that when I am older, I am going to rescue guinea pigs and rabbits and find good homes for them!

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
I know I already posted this, but it's so wrong because even if you take care of your animals correctly you're still breeding them. It's not responsible to breed your animals for two main reasons I can think of at this second but there are probably tons more.

First being you are risking the life of your animal every time you breed them. They also have a high chance of dying. Especially in guinea pigs the death rate goes up the more times the piggie is bred. I would never risk my guinea pigs life just to have cute little babies that I could easily go and ADOPT from my local small animal rescue. It's not worth it.

Another reason is that, as you know, there are soooooo many animals in shelters right now. Millions of innocent animals are put down every year and it kills me to even think about it. Why breed and make more when so many animals are being killed? I hear excuses like I wanted this specific breed or whatever. It's not legit, because there are tons of breed specific shelters with purebred breeds waiting for a home. There is never a time where going to a breeder is better than adopting from a shelter. I would NEVER think to go to a breeder for my next dog (I want a pit). Especially with pit bulls there are so many in shelters and why would I want to purchase one when another 10 pit bulls are being killed the same second? Breeding just doesn't make sense at all.

I hope I could help!

Clovers

Cavy Slave
ILoveMillie;bt4967 said:
I know I already posted this, but it's so wrong because even if you take care of your animals correctly you're still breeding them. It's not responsible to breed your animals for two main reasons I can think of at this second but there are probably tons more.

First being you are risking the life of your animal every time you breed them. They also have a high chance of dying. Especially in guinea pigs the death rate goes up the more times the piggie is bred. I would never risk my guinea pigs life just to have cute little babies that I could easily go and ADOPT from my local small animal rescue. It's not worth it.

Another reason is that, as you know, there are soooooo many animals in shelters right now. Millions of innocent animals are put down every year and it kills me to even think about it. Why breed and make more when so many animals are being killed? I hear excuses like I wanted this specific breed or whatever. It's not legit, because there are tons of breed specific shelters with purebred breeds waiting for a home. There is never a time where going to a breeder is better than adopting from a shelter. I would NEVER think to go to a breeder for my next dog (I want a pit). Especially with pit bulls there are so many in shelters and why would I want to purchase one when another 10 pit bulls are being killed the same second? Breeding just doesn't make sense at all.

I hope I could help!

Thank you so much. I want to learn as much as I can!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.