Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeder's Cages

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
I went throught the "Cavie Caboodle" website and she's saying there aren't that many cavies in one cage, that they all ran down to that end of the cage because she was giving out treats. The cages are 7 feet long or something. But I think I counted 5 or 6 pigs in one and 7 feet by 2 feet still isn't big enough, is it? I know they have the piggy pool and piggy play yard to play in, I just hope they get LOTS of time in there.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
The shelves may be 7 feet long, but they're divided into 2 columns of cages. So each compartment is 3.5x2 feet then. But the measurement of the trays that fit inside each compartment will be even smaller. That's definitely way too small for all those pigs.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
But the pictures are misleading. I know it looks like they are divided into two columns, but she's saying that they aren't they can go all the way from one end to the other. One side is hay and the other is bedding. If you look closely at the pictures, you do notice that there are no pigs on the other end - cause they are all at one end looking for treats. I still don't like the setup, though, it seems the roof is right on top of them and it seems dark and dreary.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I don't see anything about them being to run the whole length. ??

I just know on the pictures I can clearly see wire splitting the sections in two. And I do see guinea pigs in the other section that are begging, but can't get to the open side.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
If you go to the first pic that Slap put in here, it shows a piggie climbing over to the other side. They can go the whole length, but theres a wall in the middle where the two bins meet that they have to climb over. That's not really ideal, because it cuts off free-running room. That's one of the things I don't like about the design.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

If you go to this page on that breeders website, about half-way down, Where it says "Carrot Time" you'll see where she explains the cages.

I still think it's too many even if it's 7 ft. long.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Oh yes, I see the guinea pig climbing over. :) I see wire mesh next to it though.

...why put that in the middle?? And it's still too small for all of them. I'm guessing that there are about 8-10 guinea pigs on each level.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it's alot of pigs, isn't it? And with the half-wall in the middle they really can't "run" the whole length, cause they have to stop to climb the wall.

It just seems awfully crowded.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
The thing is that these breeders have a different mind set then us concerning their piggies. To us they are adorable little pets, to them, they are guinea pigs that are going to mate to make little pets for people. They cannot really see them as a part of their family or else they wouldn't be caged in this way. Its a completely different value system than I have and I cannot understand it at all. It is one thing to have a few guinea pigs and breed then once a year (still terrible), but to keep them in big cages and play with them, but this is just the same as a puppy mill. Personally, I cannot stand it, but I am glad that they at least look healthier and happier than others that I have seen. I was also slightly impressed by the big tupperware thing that they keep the pregnant sows in. While tuperware is bad for ventilation, it was very big and allowed lots of room to run around. I have seen to many pictures where pregnant sows are kept in a cage that is barely big enough for her, her food, and a possibly a hidey house.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The tuperware doesn't look that big to me. The measurements inside isn't that much space and I don't see any hay anywhere.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
Sorry, but I didn't mean the pictures that are posted. It is actually in one of the links. I was mistaken though, it is not tupperware, it is a galvazized them. While it doesn't provide much ventilation, it is very big and has plenty of hay along with water and food. its definetely better than putting them into the little cages that all of the rest are in, which doesn't give any room to run around.

https://silvercrestcaviary.tripod.com/caviary.htm

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Oh, okay. Yeah, that does look better, but it's the "breeder sows" cage. They get more space, but are used as breeding machines.

:(

That may have something to do with it.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I agree with you completely there. Its so sad. I am hoping that this person is at least responsible (not that breeding is ever really responsible) enough to only breed each sow once or at least only once per year. I hate hearing about breeders that let their sows rest for a month or two and then place them right back in with the males and continue to do that until the sow dies or can no longer give birth to live litters. Personally, I cannot quite understand how this person can distinguish between her breeding, showing, and pet guinea pigs. How comes she puts some through this type of stress and not others. It's so strange to me. She cares enough to build them a special room, but not enough to not breed and show them. That's just hypocritical to me.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I think they probably only refer to them as 'breeder sows' for the website. They probably really love their pets. I don't know, just a thought.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
They get more space?! It doesn't look like it to me. 18" by 24".. I wouldn't even put a hamster in that!

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
They like to try to stir up the fear factor of ---ewww, those nasty animal rights--cavy huggers--will hurt us.

Remember, they call us Nazis.

The half-wall is probably to prevent toxemia by making the sows exercise?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I heard the cavy hugger thing. What exactly are we supposed to do with them?

Bash their heads against the wall instead when they are past breeding age? Or suffocate them with a home made gas machine? Sell them to a pet store or as snake food?

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
Rachy: I was referring to a galvanized tank that is in the link that I provide above. It is 2 feet by 8 feet.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
2' x 8' may be streatching that measurement a little bit. Who knows how many sows she will keep at a time in there. Her sows appear to be pregnant and she lists all ones curently in breeding: 17 sows. As well as five due in April.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
NO ventilation:

(broken link removed)(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.