Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Bought Local Hay. Please help me pick!

PravzzzZ

Cavy Slave
Hey Guys! I'm from Winnipeg, Canada. Got 2 Guinea pigs recently. I bought a small bale of 3rd cut timothy hay locally in an attempt to save some money.

For some reason, the hay looks different to me. My pigs seem not to mind so far(2 hours since I got it). I'm attaching few pictures of hay with this post. Please advise if this is the correct one and is usable. I told the seller that I might be back to switch it with the other one he has in case my pigs don't like this one. He also has a 2nd cut mix of Timothy, Orchard and 10 to 20% Alfalfa. My pigs are 9 months old.

Please help me pick the right one.

Thanks for reading this till thr end!
Praveen.
Bought Local Hay. Please help me pick!
Bought Local Hay. Please help me pick!

Sent from my LG V30 using Tapatalk

Third cut hay is softer and the stems are smaller than the earlier cuts.

I wouldn't use the one mixed with alfalfa.

Ignore this message. Failed attempt to edit my post

Last edited:
Third cut hay is softer and the stems are smaller than the earlier cuts.

I wouldn't use the one mixed with alfalfa.
Thanks for helping me pick!

I thought I was allergic to my Guinea pigs but now, I'm pretty sure it was the hay. I don't get any allergic reactions with the hay I've got and my Boys don't seem to have a problem.

The only difference I observed is that their poop was dark brown when I was using Kaytee hay but now that I got my hay from a local farmer, their poop is dark black and is a little softer.

Not sure if it's something I should worry about. They get their one cup veggies everyday and lots of hay and freah water. Please advise if I need to so anything about this.

Thanks!!!

Sent from my LG V30 using Tapatalk

The problem with local hay is foreign material, like bugs and such. That would be my concern. Also, it triggered an asthma attack in my brother when he visited.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.