Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

blood sweat and tears

t&ds mum

Cavy Slave
Well my girls have been in their new cage for a couple of weeks now. It took me a long time from deciding to do it, to obtaining the materials and actually putting it together. I am extremely challenged when it comes to making things so it was a long tortuous process to actually put the cage together! Many zip ties lost their lives during the procedure as I would no sooner hook everything up then realise it was in the wrong place and have to cut them all off. Then there was the coroplast...but I am pleased with the results after all that (slightly wonky though they may be!)
I was going to put the cage on top of something but it's on the floor at the mo, which meant I had to make a lid cos I have a cat. I didn't have quite enough left over grids so I've had to include some other materials and as a result my cage is very ugly looking. I might splash out and get some shelving to make it look better but it's really expensive here in NZ.
Anyway the first few days my girls were in it I was terrified that the cat would find a way in even though it was covered, (bear in mind that my cat is elderly and has never paid any attention to the pigs whatsoever) and I would be driving to work and have to go back and check! It's now as secure as possible and I'm a little more relaxed! Now I'm feeling like I want to make the cage bigger...does it ever stop?!❤️

C&K

Cavy Slave
Congrats!

I just went to Homedepot tonight to buy more grids, so I know what you mean bhy the expansion fever! I don't think it does ever stop. Lucally though, you should not have to start from scratch again.

What about using a sheet of coroplast, or scrap fiberglass, or clear plastic for a lid? Would these be more cost effective then the shelving option? Keep your eyes peeled, I am sure you will find something.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Now I'm feeling like I want to make the cage bigger...does it ever stop?!
Only when you completely run out of space and the cage is touching both end of the room. lol

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Now I'm feeling like I want to make the cage bigger...does it ever stop?!

It doesn't for me! I have a 4-level C&C at the moment but I want to re-design again. It's been a 4-level 2x4 for just a couple of months. I want to make it a 2x5 or 3x4 and remove one level, making it a 3-level 2x5 or 3x4. It's just so much work to alter their current cage; it means re-cutting the coroplast and moving the ramps - oh, and convincing my mom!

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
lol this reminds me of little kids constantly building and rebuilding lego castles or soemthing. lol

aqh88

Cavy Slave
You should have seen what I built with legos. lol I was always needing more legos. By the time I got bored with legos I had 2 large rubbermaid tubs full. Is it any surprise I'm ordering more coroplast again? :D

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My son is about to outgrow his legos. He will be 15 next month but he occasionally still builds stuff out of them. I was actually thinking of making something for the girls out of a few of them. Jesse has thousands and thousands of them.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
My son is about to outgrow his legos.

I'm not sure that's possible. My brother is 19 and a Marine. We went to WalMart last time he was home, so he could pick up a few things, and he found a fire engine Lego set. I bought him two of them and a box of 250 assorted Legos to take back to the guys in the firehouse. He's trained as a military/aircraft rescue firefighter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.